Question with my New Cage

bullgod

So I just received a new Female Ambilobe Panther, in her new screen cage. I purchased this cage from a local private reptile store. The only problem with this cage I'm having is that it's a glass floor, and There isn't a bottom tray to take out for cleaning. I'm having an issue with misting and my dripper collecting water. I don't want my Cham to have any respiratory infections. Any ideas. Thank you.

It's an all screen enclosure, except the floor is glass.

Well you certainly can't drill holes for drainage if it is glass! I use a SHALLOw tupper ware container and drip my water from the dripper just so so it trickles into the container. Nothing too deep, incase your cham falls in and cannot get out. Some people use paper towels, but that can be costly and your cham could also shoot at a cricket or other prey and injest some of the paper. I wipe out the cage periodically with big towels to keep it dry. I do alot of laundry!

Cleaning

I hear you,

Thanks for the tip another quick question.

At the moment I'm using paper towel, but like you said I'm skeptical about it.
I have a small bowl filled with crumbled paper towel, that catches water from the dripper. Once it's filled the paper towel remains in there just in case god forbid she falls in there. I'm trying to figure out an alternative though. Paper towel is just becoming such a hassle because every time I mist her cage, I have to replace all the paper towel.. Should I look into another cage possibly?

I hear you,

Thanks for the tip another quick question.

At the moment I'm using paper towel, but like you said I'm skeptical about it.
I have a small bowl filled with crumbled paper towel, that catches water from the dripper. Once it's filled the paper towel remains in there just in case god forbid she falls in there. I'm trying to figure out an alternative though. Paper towel is just becoming such a hassle because every time I mist her cage, I have to replace all the paper towel.. Should I look into another cage possibly?

I just leave the water to dry up and then at the end of the day before lights out I wipe down the whole bottom with a big towel. I never use paper towels but that is just me. Do you have a large live plant in your enclosure?. That will help absorb some of the water. I have one big plant and under neath that I have a large plate that catches the water. that holds alot of it and it will overflow onto the cage floor but not too bad. I wouldn't say you have to get another cage as not everyone has cages with elaborate drainage systems. My old tupperware container works just fine. Even if you use like a cookie sheet to catch the water. It is shallow and could be emptied easily.

Cage

I just leave the water to dry up and then at the end of the day before lights out I wipe down the whole bottom with a big towel. I never use paper towels but that is just me. Do you have a large live plant in your enclosure?. That will help absorb some of the water. I have one big plant and under neath that I have a large plate that catches the water. that holds alot of it and it will overflow onto the cage floor but not too bad. I wouldn't say you have to get another cage as not everyone has cages with elaborate drainage systems. My old tupperware container works just fine. Even if you use like a cookie sheet to catch the water. It is shallow and could be emptied easily.

Hey... I just realized I'm talking with you on the Misting forum as well hahaha.

Anyway.. Shes currently only 5 months old, so shes not in that big of an enclosure... it's not as wide as I would like it to be. Shes in a 16inch by 16 inch by 31 inch high enclosure... is that ok? Because with the way her cage is at the moment, I don't think I could put any plant in there.

Hey... I just realized I'm talking with you on the Misting forum as well hahaha.

Anyway.. Shes currently only 5 months old, so shes not in that big of an enclosure... it's not as wide as I would like it to be. Shes in a 16inch by 16 inch by 31 inch high enclosure... is that ok? Because with the way her cage is at the moment, I don't think I could put any plant in there.

What is the Misting Forum??? I don't think that is me:confused: I would get a bigger enclosure in the near future. Get a screen with the wood bottom or whatever it is they put in there. you can drill in it for drainage. Or build your own! Alot of people do that. You could probably fit an arboricola(shefflera) in there. They are good cause they have sturdy branches for them to climb on. They sell em at home depot.

So I just received a new Female Ambilobe Panther, in her new screen cage. I purchased this cage from a local private reptile store. The only problem with this cage I'm having is that it's a glass floor, and There isn't a bottom tray to take out for cleaning. I'm having an issue with misting and my dripper collecting water. I don't want my Cham to have any respiratory infections. Any ideas. Thank you.

It's an all screen enclosure, except the floor is glass.

Run a bead of silicone around the perimeter of the glass. Tilt the entire cage or even the table it sits on very slightly so the water runs to one low corner where you can easily blot it up. You could also make another "bottom" out of flexible plastic (is that stuff called Coroplast?) with sides and fit it on top of the glass one. Then you can flex it so the water collects in one spot so its easy to collect.

Back
Top Bottom