Question on Thermometer Placement

Syreptyon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey all,

I just received my cham enclosure and the supplies I ordered in the mail. I put the cage together and it all looks great. Everything seems to be working, but I have a question about my digital thermometer/humidity gauge.

So this is the model I have: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Deluxe-Thermometers-Humidity-Gauges

It seems nice, but I am not sure where I am supposed to place it. Should it be on the outside or the inside of the cage? I thought it should be on the outside, but then the probes don't fit through the mesh. Is it acceptable to take the temperature readings whenever I enter the room by opening the cage door and holding the probes in the individual places I want to measure or should I be getting a constant reading? I searched the forums for help, but couldn't find anything definite

Oh and one more question :eek: I got a dripper and was just wondering-do you guys use the little rubber tube it comes with or just let it drip through the valve?

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

I'd want the probe (inluding the base unit if you have to) in the cage at all times. I like having one at the top of the cage, in the basking area, and one near to the middle of the cage.

Thank you! I thought that would be what I should do. Should I attach the probes to a specific location in the cage (and how should I do this)? Or should I have them be movable so I can measure the temps in different places?

Maybe having them repositional would be best, unless you have a couple of these. Most of the time leave th probe part near the middle of the cage, and just move them to check the hot spot every couple days. Probably best to have the base unit in the area least hit by water and poop!

I have the base of mine attached on the inside of the door of my home built wood cage mid height and the probe is twisty tied to a fake vine that runs up to his basking spot.

I'm assuming you have window screen type cage so not to have to cut any holes in the screen you'd want the base inside the cage. Mid-height is going to be best to measure ambient temp and humidity. Unless there's something in the cage to shield it from misting I'd recommend attaching it to the door so the door is open when you mist by hand. If you have an automated mister somewhere out the direct path of mist or drop will do.

I'd try to find some tiny zip ties that will fit through the screen, attach the base of the gauge to a piece of plastic (like cut from the top of a rubbermaid tub)that is slightly bigger than the base using 2Xsided tape, then punch holes in the plastic to pass the zip ties through and zip it to the screen where ever. Usually the vents that allow air to the ambient temp meter and humidity are on the back so make sure to cut the plastic piece for them and not to cover them with tape. Key is finding zip ties that'll pass through the screen without messing it up too bad.

All right, sounds good. So, I'll try having it on the inside and have the probes near the middle for most of the time. I have a ton of cable/zip ties and they fit through the mesh fine so I'll be using those. :)

What about the extra length of the probes? When just holding them up to where I'd place them, there is a lot of excess. Should I just let that be or should I tie it together to make it more compact or something?

Back
Top Bottom