Question on odd eye

Smitty

As I was running on errands yesterday I happened to stop by a reptile shop. Inside they had some smaller Veileds (of course) but then had another one. I'm not as familiar with chams than others, so I'm not 100% sure, but it looked like a Ambilobe from the shape of the head. I have no idea the sex, but I'm going to say HE instead of IT from here on out.

So, as I was watching him I noticed that he was puffing out one of his eyes! It looked like the eye was being filled with air or something and then slowly shrinking back towards normal. It never would shrink back down to a normal size, it was always puffy. Immediatly I was thinking there was something stuck in his eye.

The store did not have this one for sale. They said it was given to them and they are tyring to get it back into health first. They were spraying more often and heavier than what it would normally take (and there were instructions on the cage to remind them). I didn't have time to spend to really get into any major questions with them.

I wish I had a picture because I thought that eye was going to pop it was so big. Anyone else seen something like this?

My cham puffs her eye out and rolls it around to clean it, but it always gets back to normal size. In the case you are decribing, I think something might be wrong. Maybe something is in there are he is trying to work it out, if that is the case the water they're using might help. But if it is fluid and not air in the eye, then I'm not sure extra water is a good idea. But I am no vet. :confused:

Problem Eye..........

It's normal for Panthers to puff out and moves their eyes around to some extent, mostly during misting and drinking. This is a cleaning and lubricating process. If it happens constantly, or if the eye does not go back down to normal this is a sign of a health problem. It sounds like the cham at the store needs vet attention. It may have an eye infection or a sinus infection. Cham sinuses and eyes are connected in some way with glands or ducts. Hope they have a contract with a local vet...........

I haven't been back in the store since I saw this and I really don't know what kind of vet connection they have... every other rep they have (including other chams) are all really healthy looking.

At least they have proper lighting/heating/ventallation for all their chams (well, except for this one, he could be a little better housed)... and I'm glad they aren't trying to sell this guy until he is better.

hey me and my boyfriend just had our 5 month jackson cham at the vet today actually for the very same problem kept buldging her eye out like a balloon and rubbing it, she also became little lethargic.. and she was at the vet cuz we thought it was a URI and the vet told us she had a sinus infection not a URI.. i guess maybe the pressure in the sinus and eye area was irritating it and thats why she was doing that with her eye.. who know but she came home with 3 diff kinds of medication.. so the poor cham at the pet store may have the same thing as our lil girl

Back
Top Bottom