Question on Male Chameleon Health

JessiiRed16

I have both male and female chameleons. My female seems perfectly fine but my male I’m not to sure about. He is not eating, not drinking, very skinny in my opinion, not the typical green, moves very slow, eyes barely open, tumbles when he walks, and has these weird black lines on his skin. I looked up possible reasons but got nothing. Tried something new in their aquarium but scared for my little man. What could possibly be wrong with him. I don’t see signs of MBD but I’m new to this so I don’t know for sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 127
Why haven’t you taken him to a vet? There is nothing we can do he needs a vet and honestly I don’t think he’s going to live much longer
They are charging $191 just to look at him. I just wanted opinions. Hes just starting to act like this.

Please fill out this form! Honestly he needs a vet nobody can save him on this forum he really looks bad there’s no way this just started to happen. That animal looks like it’s been malnourished for months.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Yes they are in the same aquarium. But it’s a large aquarium with not much stuff in there but enough for them to climb around.
Can you fill out the help form because ever ugh single thing you've told us so far is wrong and detrimental to your chams health so..

Please fill out this form! Honestly he needs a vet nobody can save him on this forum he really looks bad there’s no way this just started to happen. That animal looks like it’s been malnourished for months.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 172
This is their food I give them. Their aquarium. And this is my female who is doing perfectly fine. I got them both at the same time only 2 months ago from PetSmart.. I call the pet store and get everything they tell me I need and all their plants are fake.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 127
They are charging $191 just to look at him. I just wanted opinions. Hes just starting to act like this.
By the photos no he didn’t just start acting like this. His eyes are extremely sunken in and he’s malnourished.

By your set up it’s 100% wrong they aren’t fish and should never be housed together.

Guess what I had to drop $500 to save my chameleon if your crying about $190 maybe you shouldn’t be in this hobby

By the photos no he didn’t just start acting like this. His eyes are extremely sunken in and he’s malnourished.

By your set up it’s 100% wrong they aren’t fish and should never be housed together.

Guess what I had to drop $500 to save my chameleon if your crying about $190 maybe you shouldn’t be in this hobby
I check on my chameleons everyday, change out both bowels, and let them out. My male just recently started acting like this. I do not treat them like fish. I also have a bearded dragon and she’s doing perfectly fine also. I got all 3 of them the same day at the same time. But he’s the only one seeming sick. I asked for opinions not for anyone to get mad and go off. I did everything that the pet store told me to do but seems like I’m not doing something right by the male. My female is perfectly fine as for my female bearded dragon.

I have both male and female chameleons. My female seems perfectly fine but my male I’m not to sure about. He is not eating, not drinking, very skinny in my opinion, not the typical green, moves very slow, eyes barely open, tumbles when he walks, and has these weird black lines on his skin. I looked up possible reasons but got nothing. Tried something new in their aquarium but scared for my little man. What could possibly be wrong with him. I don’t see signs of MBD but I’m new to this so I don’t know for sure.
Coming from someone who’s new too to chameleons a lot of things I read and viewed that had in common was that you’re not suppose to house them together and if you do it has to be extremely spacious & your glass one looks barley enough space for 1 chameleon & I've also seen that glass enclosures are also not a good home because of air flow restriction and trapping bad air around the chameleon that gets them sick. Stress is a major factor also and it might have been stressed the whole time because it is sharing and also dealing with other factors that’ll stress him out by the looks of your home for the both of them. Hence why one is flourishing and the other looks like that. & people are saying it couldn’t have just did that today or yesterday because it looks like old skin and completely opposite from the other and doesn’t look like it would look like that over night.

Hello, I'm sorry but everything your petstore told and sold you is completely wrong. Your female may be fine now but I guarantee you she will go downhill just like your male very soon if you don't change your husbandry. Please get your male to an exotic animal vet immediately if you want him to have a chance at surviving, he is in critical condition. Please review the care sheets and these images. Chameleons definitely cannot be kept together and not in an aquarium either, they require very large planted enclosures with specialized lighting, mist and drainage systems, and air flow. Also, they require live insect diets and should not be fed meal worms. They require advanced, specialized care in order to survive and thrive.

Attachments

• C13FFE66-3EAF-4F59-A3B3-50B218DB9B1B.jpeg
    C13FFE66-3EAF-4F59-A3B3-50B218DB9B1B.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 100
  • C130EAA8-1B6F-4049-A3BF-A3D7B18568F5.jpeg
    C130EAA8-1B6F-4049-A3BF-A3D7B18568F5.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 3B23B997-DFCC-4C57-AD67-7F6C48A0DE4F.jpeg
    3B23B997-DFCC-4C57-AD67-7F6C48A0DE4F.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 7D56459B-3017-4008-A64C-DC44E1C718AD.jpeg
    7D56459B-3017-4008-A64C-DC44E1C718AD.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 112
  • F381768F-5A8E-4174-B919-06DB401B2D76.jpeg
    F381768F-5A8E-4174-B919-06DB401B2D76.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 3A25E576-D733-4D4A-BB19-DF0559BD287E.jpeg
    3A25E576-D733-4D4A-BB19-DF0559BD287E.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 125
Coming from someone who’s new too to chameleons a lot of things I read and viewed that had in common was that you’re not suppose to house them together and if you do it has to be extremely spacious & your glass one looks barley enough space for 1 chameleon & I've also seen that glass enclosures are also not a good home because of air flow restriction and trapping bad air around the chameleon that gets them sick. Stress is a major factor also and it might have been stressed the whole time because it is sharing and also dealing with other factors that’ll stress him out by the looks of your home for the both of them. Hence why one is flourishing and the other looks like that. & people are saying it couldn’t have just did that today or yesterday because it looks like old skin and completely opposite from the other and doesn’t look like it would look like that over night.
He’s only been like this for a few days. He’s still just a baby. When I got them they told me that they were only a month or two. I’ve had them for now going on 2 1/2 months.. I check on them everyday right along with my bearded dragon. Both my female Cham and female bearded dragon are fine. But I was confused on why he’s the only one seeming sick. Their aquarium is a 100 gallon which was the biggest Pet Smart had when I purchased it.

& the black lines right above it’s tail and on its leg and on its crest I have only seen on my chameleon recently when it’s tail began to have a problem and I was told it looked like an infection so maybe it might have an infection that’s spreading throughout its body and weakening it. But you should just take it to a vet ASAP since you are new and wouldn’t want your Cham to die /:

& the black lines right above it’s tail and on its leg and on its crest I have only seen on my chameleon recently when it’s tail began to have a problem and I was told it looked like an infection so maybe it might have an infection that’s spreading throughout its body and weakening it. But you should just take it to a vet ASAP since you are new and wouldn’t want your Cham to die /:
Yes the black lines are on his head and his tail.

Back
Top Bottom