Question about selling panther chameleons...

XtremeHobby

Alright, there is a store local to me (about 2 minutes down the road) and I know that everyone dislikes reptile/pet stores but this is a store that has extremely knowledgeable staff and have bought about 150 bearded dragons from me over the course of 2 years.

They were asking me (since I bought my male panther from them) if I was going to be breeding it with a female, and yes I am as I have a female panther that I am going to be breeding soon.

They told me that when I do have them, once 2 months old they would give me around $130-$150 per panther. Is this a good price to start at? They would take every one for sure regardless of if its 10 or 30.

Once again, I only breed for the hobby, not the money but I know panthers can be worth a hell of alot of money (my male was $400 and my female was $250 (Canadian $)) but I'm only asking because I don't want to get ripped off at the same time but if a person/store is willing to take every reptile I have in one go (for a bit more of a discount) then I'll do that no problem as it increases the profit.

It's not the small, "Mom and Pop" exotic pet stores we advise againts, its the
large chain stores, like Petstupid ;)

As far as selling price, I really dont know :confused:

all i know is that ive seen on chameleon sites for panthers around 3 months going for
male: 275-300
female: 250-275, however since it is a large quantity, i would say you might be able to get a little more out of them, maybe 175-200?

well they have to make their profit too(even though it will be quite alot) you have to consider that they are willing to take everyone from you regardless of number. That would be a deal sealer for me as you do not want to get stuck with numerous panthers that you cannot sell. The other thing I would consider, is are you comfortable with turning over say 30 babies to them? Meaning, are they going to get the proper care to thrive? Them selling one panther is one thing, but maintaining 30 is a different story.

It's not the small, "Mom and Pop" exotic pet stores we advise againts, its the
large chain stores, like Petstupid ;)

As far as selling price, I really dont know :confused:

all i know is that ive seen on chameleon sites for panthers around 3 months going for
male: 275-300
female: 250-275, however since it is a large quantity, i would say you might be able to get a little more out of them, maybe 175-200?

i agree i would never sell anything to as they said petstupid lmao. i also agree with the next post. if i was you i would look for more like 160 for females and closet to 180 or so for males. there gonna make a profit on it no matter what because depending on which type of cham you have they can sell anywhere from 200 to 3000$ now relisticly you prob dont have the rare breeds that are gonna bring in 3000$ but they can sell you babies for prob close to 3 or 400 $. so i would say even 200 is a good price for you to sell them to them for.

good luck :D

I guess thats not a bad price for a wholesale purchase, which is what they would be doing.

The prices you see for 2-300 for 3month olds are retail prices.

Like Carol mentioned do they have setup to house 30 cham's, and do you for that matter?

You can get more for the cham's selling them directly yourself on here and fauna classified, etc.. I reckon. Some sell for more due to bloodlines and coloring indeed.

If they are getting them at 2 months old, they can be housed together for a while and will probably be sold fairly quickly.

Yes, you can get more selling them yourself, but then you also have to find individual buyers, deal with shipping, informing all the buyers of what they need, etc. I would work out prices based on how many you end up selling them. If you have a smaller number, ask for a higher price. If you have a lot of them, ask for a lower price.

I deal with a local shop that I trust as well. I sold them a sm group of 12wk panthers. We agreed on 150 for males and 125 for females if buy groups of 8-12. They sell males for 300-325 and female for 225-250. I recently sold them a 6month sub adult for 275 They sold that boy for 450 Hope that helps.

As long as they have the ability to house and care for your babies, counter offer with $190 each for your babies, male or female. Then when they offer you $175; everyone is happy!:D

well ive never sold or bred chams but id say...if the price quoted you is cool with you...then go for it..of course theyre gonna lowball on the first offer but that just business.

pricing

I just sell mine for $80 male or female. i find it better to sell 30 @ $80 rather than 10 @ $200. If you're doing it for a hobby then negotiating for $10 or $15 more turns you into a dealer not a hobbyist. i also make sure the store sells them @ $160 also. that way, your average joe can have one also. poor people make good parents also. like morrissey says "i've seen you smile, but i've never heard you laugh. i don't know is richer".

In reality the price they offered is a little better than most get for wholesale. If it's a nice shop and they will care for them properly I would go for it. It will save you the the time and materials for shipping as well as feeding for an additional month while they would need to grow a little larger to ship. Congrats on the babies by the way :)

If you also are buying from the store it might be worth trying to get them to add a discount to your purchases in the future -

That is a great deal for selling them wholesale. My friend who kind of helped me into the hobby wholesales his for 65 a pieace but they take everything he can offer. So I would say that is an excellent deal especially if they're willing to take all of them.

$130-$150 would be a reasonable wholesale price for FEMALE panthers. As for males, I would require at least around $175-$200. Prices would vary for the locales and colors of the chams. Why not sell the babies individually on here (ChameleonForums classified section)? You would get a heck of a lot more money, and even though you said you do this only as a hobby, selling them on this site might insure the little ones go to better homes than if sold in a pet shop. The forum members are really knowledgable while buyers at a pet shop typically aren't as informed.

Back
Top Bottom