Question about heat requirements

amalthea23

I have a male ambilobe panther cham from Kammerflage Chameleons named Drogo. he's now 10 months old, and he's an absolute sweetie. GREAT personality, great colors, eats, poops, he's perfect. I love him. My question: he enjoys free ranging, in particular, when I come over to do his daily cage maintenance (check on the plants, pull dead leaves, feed him, etc,) he runs over to come and sit on me. He'll sit on me for hours, just hanging out while I work, etc, if I let him. Or if I decide to let him free range, he'll sit on one of the perch sections I've made for him, also for hours, looking pretty happy. The thing is, it's winter in NY now, and my house is RARELY above 69 degrees. My question is, how long is it ok for him to be away from his basking area? When he definitely feels cold, I put him back, but he never turns dark, I just start getting worried for him. When he's put back, he'll sit in the basking area for a bit and then go exploring around. His big bask time is right before he gets ready for bed. Then he flattens out and absorbs heat for about an hour before curling up. I don't want to harm him by letting him get too cold, so should I just force him to stay by the heat all winter, or let him cruise around? If needed, you can see photos of him here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalthea23/sets/72157629899224231/

I think it is fine if he cruises around. As long as he has access to the heat lamps a couple times a day I think he will be fine. if you are really worried, maybe rig a 2nd heat lamp up in his free range just in case.

Ok. I know if he gets dark, or loses grip or some such, he's obviously WAY too cold, but he's generally very bright and attentive sitting on me or on his perch. The only time he gapes is at my cat (I'm careful and watch them) but he's just a really mellow guy. I very much enjoy his personality and want to encourage him to stay "nice" (he did have a bad teenage phase, but after a few weeks it passed) but I don't want to harm him.

Back
Top Bottom