Question about FL Chams safe plant list

Large dendrobium orchids are perfect!! (Nobile dendrobiums) They have anti cancer properties for humans, and once they get growing they are impossible to kill, your beman couldn't kill it if he wanted tothe roots grow well in an air pot with clay balls with rocks on top so beman can't eat them with cham conditions is perfect, just an idea:notworthy:

Large dendrobium orchids are perfect!! (Nobile dendrobiums) They have anti cancer properties for humans, and once they get growing they are impossible to kill, your beman couldn't kill it if he wanted tothe roots grow well in an air pot with clay balls with rocks on top so beman can't eat them with cham conditions is perfect, just an idea:notworthy:
Thanks hun! I will look into it :)

@Beman I'd love to hear more about your outdoor enclosure when you get there...I'm now thinking about how to best set up something for my little juvie veiled out on my south-facing balcony...was looking at those mesh hampers that pop open...I used to use those for Monarchs... Just stick Pete and his plant inside and done. Except for the unwanted light filtering from the mesh. Ah well.

@Beman I'd love to hear more about your outdoor enclosure when you get there...I'm now thinking about how to best set up something for my little juvie veiled out on my south-facing balcony...was looking at those mesh hampers that pop open...I used to use those for Monarchs... Just stick Pete and his plant inside and done. Except for the unwanted light filtering from the mesh. Ah well.
Will do. I am still working it all out in my head lol. I am thinking pvc frame adding screening to that. Due to living in a very high humidity /wet area I am afraid wood would just rot too quickly. My issue is needing plants for outdoors though. I do not have a yard that caters to shady spots so it is full sun. While it never really gets hot here in full sun it is very warm. I have to go larger for the enclosure because Beman hates to be caged. I had tried him in a smaller zoomed cage outside and all he would do is screen climb. So I am hoping if I go much larger he will feel more content. But then I have to have plants to fill it lol. So I am currently trying to figure this one out. :unsure:

Honeysuckle is very easy to keep alive, grows well in rocky and or sandy detris or potting medium, it grows very fast

Bill Strand podcast is from March 16,2016... called outside chameleon keeping,
We also want to set up the outside cages with perennials. We have been using honey suckles for the last two years with no issues. We are using them with panthers. We use hibiscus for the veileds.

Bill Strand podcast is from March 16,2016... called outside chameleon keeping,
We also want to set up the outside cages with perennials. We have been using honey suckles for the last two years with no issues. We are using them with panthers. We use hibiscus for the veileds.
Yes! I actually just found that podcast today but I did not have time to listen... Kinda in love with your panther that is your profile pic... What locale?

Masoala.. and thank you.
Do you have simply chameleons in Canada? I just google Masoala since I have never heard of them. And there was one that looks like your stunner! The white in them is absolutely amazing with the shocking reds and blues. Absolutely beautiful!

Back to the gaping thing, I just did a presentation on thermoregulation in reptiles. Gaping is used by reptiles to cool off as the open mouth increases surface area for heat to dissipate, and if they increase their ventilation rate then they also cool down more due to evaporative cooling from the respiratory system. Also, the brain is more sensitive to heat than other tissues, so reptiles may try to maintain the head at a lower temperature than the body. Gaping cools the head down more quickly than the body, so just by gaping some reptiles can maintain a body temp of 1 C below the ambient air and a head temp of 3 C below ambient air. That equals to 1.8 and 5.4 F.

Back to the gaping thing, I just did a presentation on thermoregulation in reptiles. Gaping is used by reptiles to cool off as the open mouth increases surface area for heat to dissipate, and if they increase their ventilation rate then they also cool down more due to evaporative cooling from the respiratory system. Also, the brain is more sensitive to heat than other tissues, so reptiles may try to maintain the head at a lower temperature than the body. Gaping cools the head down more quickly than the body, so just by gaping some reptiles can maintain a body temp of 1 C below the ambient air and a head temp of 3 C below ambient air. That equals to 1.8 and 5.4 F.
This is very interesting... thank you for sharing. Perhaps you could post this in its own thread so others have a chance to read it. Not many will find it here in my thread about outdoor plants.

Safe plant lists are generally a bunch of BS
I am figuring that out. LOL at least for my plant eater. I am at a giving up point of doing an outdoor enclosure for him. I have way to much sun. And the only plant that would do well is a hibiscus and I can't get a mature one locally or via ordering.
So I will just continue to be his tree lol

Was this used with a Veiled or a Panther?
Panther, I say this only because he ate all the bark off all branches. I understand that Vails eat plant matter on a general bases and Panthers don't but just saying Herbie had no issues eating the Butterfly bush

Back
Top Bottom