Question about catching water on bottom

in it's simplest form:

approx 5 holes in plastic bottom of cage, bucket underneath. water problem solved.

elaborate from there to meet your needs. Funnels & tubing will greatly increase possibilities.

in it's simplest form:

approx 5 holes in plastic bottom of cage, bucket underneath. water problem solved.

elaborate from there to meet your needs. Funnels & tubing will greatly increase possibilities.

Not if your using misting nozzles..... Water runs down the sides of the cage and will drip all around the bottom of the cage along the edges.

Last edited:
Not if your using misting nozzles..... Water runs down the sides of the cage and will drip all around the bottom of the cage along the edges.

Good point. How do you empty those trays? Do you have to lift the cage up to get the tray out and dump it?

KevinZamp02_09_20101361.jpg

I have a 1/2" slip to 1/2" pipe thread bit glued to the pan and then I have a 1/2" pipe thread to 3/8" quick connect tube fitting. Right now this pan just drains into a larger drain pan for my melleri... but once I put this cage in it's spot it will utilize the hose fitting.

Slightly tipping the pan makes all of the water flow to the fitting. It doesn't take much.

That blue stuff is primer...... stuff is really runny. The glue isn't as runny.

nice summoner... I figured people were fitting drains on these things one way or another. thanks for the pic!

I use those baby changing mats, they absorb the water like a nappy and then i change it weekly during the clean up :D

Summoner,
I juts got a 24/24/48" cage and got the matching water catching pan. I am thinking of doing what you did with yours - or something like it..

I was thinking of having that tubing run to a bucket.. but why cant i just make a hole in the plastic water catcher and put a tube there, instead of putting pipes and stuff like you have?

Summoner,
I juts got a 24/24/48" cage and got the matching water catching pan. I am thinking of doing what you did with yours - or something like it..

I was thinking of having that tubing run to a bucket.. but why cant i just make a hole in the plastic water catcher and put a tube there, instead of putting pipes and stuff like you have?

you can.... but the point of using a PVC fitting and then either putting a hose barb fittin gor quick connect fitting into the PVC elbow or straight piece, is because you can seal the PVC fitting to the pan with PVC glue. The pan is made of PVC.... You are only spending a couple of dollar at HD or Lowe's to do what I did. If all you do is an elbow, you looking at spending 75 cents.

The issue you might run into is bonding the tube to the pan. If the tube isn't made of PVC you can't use PVC glue, it won't bond. You could use hot glue or silicone I guess, but it won't hold super well, especially if pulled on at all.

You could do several different things. so if you try something different please share what you end up doing. We can all learn from this thread, since these pans are new I am sure people will get creative.

Isn't a shamwow sufficient? It absorbs water like you wouldn't believe. Just wring it out and place back in the enclosure. Unless there is some sort of risk I am unaware of? ...

a shamwow sounds good

but i already bought the water catching pan from lllreptile and i want to make use of it - since its made of pvc i am sure i can think of something - i think it'll be summoner's idea, or something like it.

The reason a shamwow won't be a good idea is because your drain pan handles more than just H2O....... You've got water that passes by poop, urates, dead bugs, and goes through a potted plant. The amount of 'stuff' that will get into the shamwow that you and I can't see with the naked eye is why it is best not to use absorbent materials unless they are disposable.

Mioke,

I don't know if your current cage design would allow for a modification like this, but check out what DJ did for drainage. I just can't get over how wonderful this idea is. Although I do wonder if the bowed bottom causes any problems with plant pots, etc.

that molded plexiglass is a great idea.. and i think i would be annoyed if the plant was at an incline - it would just look weird and i am a stickler for things like that lol.

Back
Top Bottom