Quantity to feed (Dubias) to 6 month old Veiled(s)?

JimNPHX

Hi everyone,

My 2 Veileds are close to 6 months old. The male weighs 41.5 grams and the female 34.5g. I am switching over to the Dubias from crickets and am wondering how many/often to feed? Through all my reading I see that the roaches have more nourishment than crickets (I realize gut feeding is important). But some say feed every other day where others claim you must feed every day! I also read that you do not want to feed a female too much so you can prevent egg laying.

I am trying to find a size roach that is about the length of an adult (human) thumb nail. Sometimes they are bigger but both chams seem to eat them no problem.

** I plan on mixing it up some with mealworms and then butterworms as a treat.

I dust every day with calcium and have a calcium/D3/Vit supplement that I am doing once every 10 days or so. (Getting mixed advice on how often with the dusting.)

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jim

I'd do size ratio thing. If your cham was generally eating 10 large crickets, and your feeding roach nymphs that are the same size as those crickets, then there's no reason to change the amount.

I'm feeding my 10 month old veiled about 2 huge nymphs a day. Mind you he's coming out of a pretty stubborn hunger strike, but he seems pretty happy with 2 a day (approx an inch long).

Thanks for the replies. I dropped down the quantity compared to the crickets because I thought that the roaches provided more nutrition. (I didn't want my chams to develop too fast.

I will up the amounts a little more. (No wonder they seem hungrier now! :))

On a side note, do Veileds prefer to eat all at once or spread out through the day? Does anyone feed that way?

Thanks

Jim

I just toss bugs in the cage every morning. Either they come to my chams, or my chams will hunt. Either way it takes most of the day to eat them all, sometimes some are even left over to the next day.

I just toss bugs in the cage every morning. Either they come to my chams, or my chams will hunt. Either way it takes most of the day to eat them all, sometimes some are even left over to the next day.

i dont like this method with dubias. they can hide real well. I def prefer cup feeding with them.

yeah, that's about the only thing i miss about crickets.
crickets always eventually went up to the top of the cage, dubia's always go down to the bottom to hide.

My juvi cham ate twice a day, roughly 5- 7 crickets at a time.

i dont like this method with dubias. they can hide real well. I def prefer cup feeding with them.

Ive had the opposite experience, though I havent been using Dubias that long. But they almost always start running up the screen and my cham will start chasing them and gets them every time. I think the only place they could hide is in the plant soil, but I just haven't seen one do it yet.

i just got a colony of dubias and i tried to feed my cham one and he ignored it, which sucks because i was hoping to use them alot. Is there anything i can do to get him to eat them? I fed him a male adult, if that matters.

adults are pretty big. Try a mid sized or small nymph. Usually you keep your adults for breeding and feed off the nymphs.

Back
Top Bottom