Quality of silkie chow

lele

Avid Member
Has anyone who has been using silkie/hornworm chow for more than a year or so finding the quality to have changed (diminished)? I have found that the last that I have gotten (powdered) is coarser, seems to either not be milled as finely or has more woody plant material in it. I find more difficult to mix and get a smooth end product. it also seems to dry out quicker and thus more waste - anyone else finding this to be the case? I am not blaming the US sources as I know they get it form a set source overseas.

Have noticed the latest batch I bought seemed a little coarser, but not significantly. I had no trouble mixing and it wasnt prone to drying out. But I dont make big batches at a time either.

Has anyone who has been using silkie/hornworm chow for more than a year or so finding the quality to have changed (diminished)? I have found that the last that I have gotten (powdered) is coarser, seems to either not be milled as finely or has more woody plant material in it. I find more difficult to mix and get a smooth end product. it also seems to dry out quicker and thus more waste - anyone else finding this to be the case? I am not blaming the US sources as I know they get it form a set source overseas.

This is exactly how I found the last batch-and it was also in a foil pouch as opposed to the plastic bag thing.

i make small amounts at a time as well and that to be more difficult with this than the old stuff.

Since I first posted this I emailed with a provider and he said that it is China's quality that has deteriorated and that they are looking into new suppliers. So I guess for now we are stuck with it. I am going to try and mill it finer with an old grinder I have that I use to mill herbs.

Back
Top Bottom