quads took over 6 months to hatch

pamnsam94

Established Member
On 9/6/13, 2 the 11 eggs (bloodline B) laid on 3/2/13 hatched. The following day, 3 more hatched. Other eggs have slits. Now I'm just waiting on the rest. I've never had quad eggs take this long to hatch (6 months and 4 days), so I'm relieved that the neonates that are out look good. Almost always, quad clutches I've had took 5 months to hatch, give or take a few days. Once, I had a clutch that took almost a week and a half past the 5 month mark, but that is the longest time I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, I was shocked to lose the father of these babies on the same day they started hatching (see my other thread "bad and good quad news").

Perry

Attachments

• DSC05912.jpg
    DSC05912.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC05917.jpg
    DSC05917.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 118
Congratulations about them hatching even though it took longer than expected. My regards about your male that passed away. When would you estimate are your babies going to be ready for sale?

Congratulations about them hatching even though it took longer than expected. My regards about your male that passed away. When would you estimate are your babies going to be ready for sale?

Thanks. I haven't posted anything yet, but I have some other babies fathered by this male that I hope to sell around the middle of next month. It really depends on size more than age though. Those (the ones I want to sell by the middle of October) are offspring of the male that started bloodline B (the male that just died) and the female that started bloodline A, so they are half siblings to every other baby quad I have. To anyone who is seriously intent on breeding these and is willing to be part of a breeding program of sorts (willing to share info, exchange offspring to prevent inbreeding as much as possible, etc.), I'll gladly put on a waiting list. I just don't want these guys to be kept by those who only want one as a pet because I feel that other species (panthers, veiled, Jackson's, etc.) are betted suited for that purpose (already well established in captivity).

Thanks,
Perry

Congrats Perry. I haven't been on much today. But I am happy your quads hatched. Now if my little ones would just come out.

The two quads I have from you are doing great. Lacey is remaining bigger than Lance and she is a lot less shy.

Thanks. I haven't posted anything yet, but I have some other babies fathered by this male that I hope to sell around the middle of next month. It really depends on size more than age though. Those (the ones I want to sell by the middle of October) are offspring of the male that started bloodline B (the male that just died) and the female that started bloodline A, so they are half siblings to every other baby quad I have. To anyone who is seriously intent on breeding these and is willing to be part of a breeding program of sorts (willing to share info, exchange offspring to prevent inbreeding as much as possible, etc.), I'll gladly put on a waiting list. I just don't want these guys to be kept by those who only want one as a pet because I feel that other species (panthers, veiled, Jackson's, etc.) are betted suited for that purpose (already well established in captivity).

Thanks,
Perry

I figured you would know how fast your babies are growing and would have the best estimate of when they would be available for purchase. I want to work with Trioceros quadricornis again as I have had pairs of them in the past without the greenhouse and they would workout perfect in that setting.

Jeremy A. Rich

To anyone who is seriously intent on breeding these and is willing to be part of a breeding program of sorts (willing to share info, exchange offspring to prevent inbreeding as much as possible, etc.), I'll gladly put on a waiting list. I just don't want these guys to be kept by those who only want one as a pet

I'm looking to work with quads again. I bred them in the 90's.

Back
Top Bottom