Quad fixtures

Weebo

Avid Member
What bulbs do you guys run in your quad fixtures. I have a UVB, 2 6500K, and a pro plant bulb. My UVB is an Arcadia 12% and I am considering changing to 6%

What bulbs do you guys run in your quad fixtures. I have a UVB, 2 6500K, and a pro plant bulb. My UVB is an Arcadia 12% and I am considering changing to 6%
Depending on the quad you may need to drop it back to a 6%. What type is it? Do you have a link?

Depending on the quad you may need to drop it back to a 6%. What type is it? Do you have a link?

It’s the quad from Todd at lightyourreptiles.com. The brand is odyssea I’m pretty sure. I have the 48” quad fixture on the dragon strand atrium

It’s the quad from Todd at lightyourreptiles.com. The brand is odyssea I’m pretty sure. I have the 48” quad fixture on the dragon strand atrium
Ok so that one has one reflector and you have to use the 12% with it or you will get virtually no UVB output because it shares one reflector for all 4 bulbs. You will want basking at about 7-8 inches down for that one to get a 3 UVI. I had my UVB bulb in the farthest back outside edge position for these readings. It reflects the UVB better in that position and then sits almost middle across the cage which is good. The bulb combo is pretty common as well and was what I was running for mine when I had it.

Ok so that one has one reflector and you have to use the 12% with it or you will get virtually no UVB output because it shares one reflector for all 4 bulbs. You will want basking at about 7-8 inches down for that one to get a 3 UVI. I had my UVB bulb in the farthest back outside edge position for these readings. It reflects the UVB better in that position and then sits almost middle across the cage which is good. The bulb combo is pretty common as well and was what I was running for mine when I had it.

Wow so just because of the reflector I need the 12%??

Wow so just because of the reflector I need the 12%??
Yep... I have a solarmeter 6.5 that I used on mine... Difference is huge between that fixture and others. If you put a 6% in your odyssea then you would end up with a just under a 1 UVI at basking 7-8 inches down vs same distance and a 12% gives you a 3 UVI.

In a single bulb fixture you would use a 6% at 9 inches down. If you used a 12% in a single fixture you would have to place basking 12 inches down and both would achieve a 3 UVI at basking.

Essentially it is the fact that the odyssea shares one reflector for all 4 bulbs and the bulbs will counter act some of the UVB output as well.

I switched from it to all single bulb fixtures and can not believe the output of light as well as the UVB. Pretty nuts. lol

Yep... I have a solarmeter 6.5 that I used on mine... Difference is huge between that fixture and others. If you put a 6% in your odyssea then you would end up with a just under a 1 UVI at basking 7-8 inches down vs same distance and a 12% gives you a 3 UVI.

In a single bulb fixture you would use a 6% at 9 inches down. If you used a 12% in a single fixture you would have to place basking 12 inches down and both would achieve a 3 UVI at basking.

Essentially it is the fact that the odyssea shares one reflector for all 4 bulbs and the bulbs will counter act some of the UVB output as well.

I switched from it to all single bulb fixtures and can not believe the output of light as well as the UVB. Pretty nuts. lol

Wow interesting

Not all "reflectors" are created equal. Some are just sheet metal painted white; others are parabolic shaped mylar with coatings formulated to reflect UVB wavelengths. Sounds like you may have the former. I agree with Beman; the only way to tell fer sure is with a UV meter.

Back
Top Bottom