Pygmys on the mind

Uri

Avid Member
So I still haven’t started but I’m gonna get into seriously researching Pygmys Specifically Rieppeleon brevicaudatus as space in my dresser has been freed up with a new dresser I bought and I just wanted to hear from some people here that keep or have kept them on the enclosure size, glass or screen, the basic setup, conditions in terms of temps and humidity, substrates, branching, lighting, misting, feeding not really the food but if it’s just throw in pinheads and fruit flies or cup feeding yk the basics, as well as if keeping a male and female would be better than just a single pygmy? And basic warnings on the species health problems all information provided I won’t get any right now but I wanna start the planning phase as they are so cute and interesting and I know some people do enclosures similar to dart frogs for them!

I should also add if It’s better to get multiple then my guess would be for me 2 females and a male so I’d like a size for that of course if it’s better to house one separate then I will only do one chameleon if that makes sense

So I still haven’t started but I’m gonna get into seriously researching Pygmys Specifically Rieppeleon brevicaudatus as space in my dresser has been freed up with a new dresser I bought and I just wanted to hear from some people here that keep or have kept them on the enclosure size, glass or screen, the basic setup, conditions in terms of temps and humidity, substrates, branching, lighting, misting, feeding not really the food but if it’s just throw in pinheads and fruit flies or cup feeding yk the basics, as well as if keeping a male and female would be better than just a single pygmy? And basic warnings on the species health problems all information provided I won’t get any right now but I wanna start the planning phase as they are so cute and interesting and I know some people do enclosures similar to dart frogs for them!
You ever figure anything out ? Debating getting a few tomorrow

What kind, where from, and how much? Not interested but like to know to help (possibly) others. (y)
Looks like they live in Florida (judging off the name lol)

Also, yes, depending on where you are looking, some of these vendors will be listing off animals from their recent Madagascar import tomorrow. Regarding pygmies specifically, I think you might have trouble finding any. The guy I was talking to only brought in a small number of superciliaris, and I happened to snag up a majority of them through the dms. I figure that many people are doing the same thing for the other Brookesia species. There is a chance that there may be some leftovers. So it's definitely worth reaching out and asking if you are interested. If not this time, you can keep in touch and be prepared for the next Maddy import.

Additionally, depending on the species of Brookesia (such as superciliaris), many people have had trouble hatching out the eggs in captivity. These are also wild-caught individuals. So you need to be 100% serious about putting the work into breeding them in captivity. This means that you need to reach out to others and see how they have kept them. See what they did wrong and what they did right. Obviously, try not to repeat things that have not worked for others. Humans are amazing with regards to the collective mind--passing on knowledge from generation to generation so that we can refine our practices. There is literally nothing that we cannot accomplish. So in order to honor that tradition, we must learn from others. That is what I am trying to do with Brookesia supericiliaris. Other species like thieli and stumpffi have been bred in captivity, so you can try those species which might be more rewarding through establishing a CB population.

If you want a pygmy-sized chameleon, there is Calumma nasutum (one of my top favorite chameleons--even though I haven't owned one yet) and Calumma boettgeri.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I would definitely like to see wild-caught animals go into the hands of serious breeders first. If you are serious, PM me and I can hook you up with someone who has experience working with the species that you choose.

For me- it is mostly gathering info at the moment. My plans for the future are Parsons and a small group of pygmies (just one species) not sure what will be available in about 2 years. I mentioned in different post my little experience and had great sucess but gave them away.
BUT! one never knows when opportunity shows itself again.
Thanks for the info.

I was mainly directing my speech towards the other members. I know you like to do your research before!

What species did you keep @redhorse?

I'm getting a 3.3 group of Brookesia supericiliaris. Everything is all lined up. I've talked to a number of pygmy keepers and they have had trouble with the supers. If I can find the eggs in the enclosure, I am going to put the eggs through a diapause at around 59-60F for a month. Everyone I talked to has not tried a diapause yet, so I'm hoping that will be the answer to hatching them out. B. superciliaris specifically comes from a region that has distinct cold and warm seasons. They come from the regions as C. parsonii (depending on locale) and Furcifer willsii which both require the eggs to go through a diapause.

So- my knowledge was very limited with both types. I had single Brookesia supericiliaris (I would find out later) as pet (male). He lived about 1 year back in 1995 or so. My got o people were CIN people (via phone) and their booklets. I fed strictly on baby spiders (collected weekly at school baseball fields) and 1 week old crickets. Very unique as they would chew their food, you can see pink like lips. Weird but fasinating.
2nd dwarfs were purchased about 10 or less years ago and were a group of 1.2 bearded pygmies (Rieppeleon brevicaudatus). They were cool to have and during egg laying season they were like anoles. 2 or 3 eggs every few weeks or so for a month or so ( i remember about 7 to 9 eggs). Sorry was not into keeping photos or records like I do now. The eggs were placed like veileds in a closet and hatched in about 4 to 5 months. The babies were kind of big and grew fast. Females faster than males with my short time having them. The babies started laying their own eggs at about 5 months. It was the females that seemed to be the dominant sex and the males would bob a little. There were people interested and I gave them away and sold some through a pet shop Reptile Island. I would have kept some and worked on fine tuning stuff but they were only 19.99 at the time. My hobby changed to seahorses, cuttlefish and a few other things. I always had chameleons of some kind.
Sorry took so long but was very uneducated as to their needs.
When I find a picture or two will share them. I know they were posted somewhere else, just can't locate at the moment.

Reason for spiders-- Watched a documentary on Chameleons and they showed a short clip with the pygmies. They were eating spiders and small things within the dead leaves.

I wouldn't even consider myself as truly knowing about them, just having them.

Looks like they live in Florida (judging off the name lol)

Also, yes, depending on where you are looking, some of these vendors will be listing off animals from their recent Madagascar import tomorrow. Regarding pygmies specifically, I think you might have trouble finding any. The guy I was talking to only brought in a small number of superciliaris, and I happened to snag up a majority of them through the dms. I figure that many people are doing the same thing for the other Brookesia species. There is a chance that there may be some leftovers. So it's definitely worth reaching out and asking if you are interested. If not this time, you can keep in touch and be prepared for the next Maddy import.

Additionally, depending on the species of Brookesia (such as superciliaris), many people have had trouble hatching out the eggs in captivity. These are also wild-caught individuals. So you need to be 100% serious about putting the work into breeding them in captivity. This means that you need to reach out to others and see how they have kept them. See what they did wrong and what they did right. Obviously, try not to repeat things that have not worked for others. Humans are amazing with regards to the collective mind--passing on knowledge from generation to generation so that we can refine our practices. There is literally nothing that we cannot accomplish. So in order to honor that tradition, we must learn from others. That is what I am trying to do with Brookesia supericiliaris. Other species like thieli and stumpffi have been bred in captivity, so you can try those species which might be more rewarding through establishing a CB population.

If you want a pygmy-sized chameleon, there is Calumma nasutum (one of my top favorite chameleons--even though I haven't owned one yet) and Calumma boettgeri.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I would definitely like to see wild-caught animals go into the hands of serious breeders first. If you are serious, PM me and I can hook you up with someone who has experience working with the species that you choose.
Yeah did the same things as you and wormed the dms. Cash tends to speak lol. But by no means was I going to get into a species I knew nothing about! I've never owned them but was the first chameleon I wanted 10 years ago and have done more research on them then any of the others lol . Still obviously different from being hands on but you gotta start somewhere. I think it's a fascinating species and by no means was I gonna get any any not be in full contact with people who have had success keeping them etc. Deff serious about my animals and wanting to breed in the future and if I can make a positive difference to any particular species in the future that'd be awesome too! It seems species like this need more people to come together and make better efforts in trying to learn and teach everything we can about these animals .

What kind, where from, and how much? Not interested but like to know to help (possibly) others. (y)
In sure everyone on here already knows but there's a madagascar shipment that came in today with some cool things in it. Few diff types of Brookesia & some other cool chams ! Believe there was stumpfii, supers, therezeni, & theili.

Yeah did the same things as you and wormed the dms. Cash tends to speak lol. But by no means was I going to get into a species I knew nothing about! I've never owned them but was the first chameleon I wanted 10 years ago and have done more research on them then any of the others lol . Still obviously different from being hands on but you gotta start somewhere. I think it's a fascinating species and by no means was I gonna get any any not be in full contact with people who have had success keeping them etc. Deff serious about my animals and wanting to breed in the future and if I can make a positive difference to any particular species in the future that'd be awesome too! It seems species like this need more people to come together and make better efforts in trying to learn and teach everything we can about these animals .
Wonderful and well said! I hope you are able to find some pygmies! The pygmy hobby sure could use someone like you!

Let me know if you end up getting some! Definitely got to stay in touch.

I just wanted to make sure that those interested in them are completely serious about trying to establish them in captivity. It seems like you are!

In sure everyone on here already knows but there's a madagascar shipment that came in today with some cool things in it. Few diff types of Brookesia & some other cool chams ! Believe there was stumpfii, supers, therezeni, & theili.
Yep, I'm aware. Thanks for sharing though. Definitely good info to pass on

Wonderful and well said! I hope you are able to find some pygmies! The pygmy hobby sure could use someone like you!

Let me know if you end up getting some! Definitely got to stay in touch.

I just wanted to make sure that those interested in them are completely serious about trying to establish them in captivity. It seems like you are!
I'm hesitant just because I would wanna do it right and not make mistakes! Seems like people like you are the peeps I need to be talking to. We can always PM bc knowledge is everything and there's so much for me to still learn (& I think that goes for all of us) ! I would love to try and make some changes in this "hobby" or whatever! 💪🏻

Back
Top Bottom