Pygmys and Dart frogs together?

Det95TA

I have been doing some research about Pygmys and Dart frogs and i have noticed that the type of enclosures used for both are somewhat similar, but I wondered if they could be kept together? I know chameleons shouldn't be kept with other animals but I thought that was more because the chameleon would eat any other amimal in its cage. I thought this would be the best place to get info on it.

I have been doing some research about Pygmys and Dart frogs and i have noticed that the type of enclosures used for both are somewhat similar, but I wondered if they could be kept together? I know chameleons shouldn't be kept with other animals but I thought that was more because the chameleon would eat any other amimal in its cage. I thought this would be the best place to get info on it.

This won't work for several reasons. Darts will want very stable constant HIGH humidity and chams won't do well without more air exchange. The constant very high wet conditions will probably cause respiratory and foot infections in the chams. The frogs will stress the chams as they are pretty shy. Both are territorial and day active and they will compete for all that tiny food constantly. Any pools of standing water are a drowning risk for the chams. They are from totally different habitats (I mean continental habitats) and will carry different pathogens, bacteria, possible parasite life stages that the other species may have no resistance to. Dart frogs are not lethally toxic if captive produced, but they probably still produce skin toxins that might be dangerous for a wandering cham.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJA
if you really did do research youd be able to answer your own question an wouldnt even a had to ask

Carlton, Thanks for the info

if you really did do research youd be able to answer your own question an wouldnt even a had to ask

Its responses like these that make me never want to post on this forum... I ask one question then get unfriendly replies.

hey there,

im glad you got the info you needed, but dont take it to heart of what others might say, and might be considered "offensive", some people just get tired of the same 'bad" idea being posted over and over again, and some people still fight it and say "why not?", Rob is a good guy and means well.

another great alternative, if you want to find info , use the "search function" here on the forums, and previous threads about the same subject you might be asking, will probably be there.:)

Hey man dont like the rude answers get to ya. These forums are to help people. If we each spent all day researching there would be no real need for this site except to chat but then its just a chat room. I ask questions alot on here becuse i dont know the answers and know others do or have dealt with the same thing. Plus lots of these guys have great advice and ideas and majority of people on here are really nice and helpful.

hey there,

im glad you got the info you needed, but dont take it to heart of what others might say, and might be considered "offensive", some people just get tired of the same 'bad" idea being posted over and over again, and some people still fight it and say "why not?", Rob is a good guy and means well.

another great alternative, if you want to find info , use the "search function" here on the forums, and previous threads about the same subject you might be asking, will probably be there.:)

thanks ace, i just wish more people got it

Well you guys are right I did find another post where I could get my answer when I did some more searching. Sorry

Well you guys are right I did find another post where I could get my answer when I did some more searching. Sorry

hey no need for apology:) to anyone

and i am just glad you enjoy being here and continue to learn and have fun just like me:p, no worries

make threads if you want first hand repsonses:D

I wasn't trying to come off rude, but it was a question that only required a one word answer. There wasn't really anything to discuss.

Dart frgs and chameleons in same tank

Dude , bull shit I have a 135 gallon vivuarium and have several dart frogs in with my chameleons and have had them together for quite sometime almost 8 months. An I also have day geckos in there as well as anoals. So when these guys say it's nit possible don't listen to them as long as you have all the right stuff and there is no compition for food or light or water you'll be fine some nerds just don't know what they are doing
It's deffentally possible in fact it's really easy man.
Don't let them hate cause they think they know it all!!

Dude , bull shit I have a 135 gallon vivuarium and have several dart frogs in with my chameleons and have had them together for quite sometime almost 8 months. An I also have day geckos in there as well as anoals. So when these guys say it's nit possible don't listen to them as long as you have all the right stuff and there is no compition for food or light or water you'll be fine some nerds just don't know what they are doing

1. old thread
2. this is dangerous advice. I recommend not even attempting it.

A whole 8 months?? That's no time at all. The tank's natural bacterial flora is still developing during that time I think. It will hit a critical mass at some point and your animals will start showing problems. They all carry different types of gut flora, e coli, and other bacteria not to mention parasites. Now if you'd shown me you have had multiple generations of animals producing in this setup, no deaths from injuries, disease, predation or stress maybe I'd believe it.

This type of enclosure would have to be a few hundred gallons, ventilated with a fan system (computer fans), well drained in order to keep the humidity up with a misting system but not have stale humidity for the chameleons, and there would have to be a very SHALLOW water area for the frogs not deep enough to drown the chameleons.

Unless you can build your own enclosure, are handy with making a fan system, have a misting system, have a way to drain such a large enclosure, and have a few hundred dollars to spend on planting it up properly......I wouldn't recommend you do it in any other case at all.

But if you are going to attempt it (the DIY, giant vivarium with a fan that is), Dendroboard has a video of "how to build a vivarium fan system" right on the homepage.

My rule of thumb: Never house multiple species together. Too many potential problems whether they ever actually happen or not.

Sure it may be possible, but it isn't ethical or adequate husbandry as those animals have different vivarium requirements. You might keep them alive for a year, but the person who made this thread was concerned with providing a proper home.

Back
Top Bottom