pygmy viv helpppppp

Juancito

well its not the best but I put everything in today. I still need to add more twigs for them to climb and see how these plants grow in the tank other then that this is it. any ways that I could make it better? id appreciate everybody's input that has had pygmys.

Attachments

• IMAG1363.jpg
    IMAG1363.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMAG1362.jpg
    IMAG1362.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 171
What kind of lid will you use? Pygmies like humidity, so I wouldn't recommend a screen lid. I'd use a glass lid with some ventilation, such as the hinged aquarium lids with the plastic strip along the back. You can either drill holes in the plastic or cut out a section and glue a piece screen to cover the opening.

Be sure to mist regularly, but don't let it stay wet. My rule of thumb is that in an air conditioned house, if there is condensation on the glass in the morning before the lights come on, the humidity is about right. I open the enclosure every day to check on my pygmies and feed them, which allows fresh air into the enclosure. If you have this kind of set up and the humidity is right, you shouldn't need to mist every day and I only mist enough to give them water to drink on the leaves.

What kind of lid will you use? Pygmies like humidity, so I wouldn't recommend a screen lid. I'd use a glass lid with some ventilation, such as the hinged aquarium lids with the plastic strip along the back. You can either drill holes in the plastic or cut out a section and glue a piece screen to cover the opening.

Be sure to mist regularly, but don't let it stay wet. My rule of thumb is that in an air conditioned house, if there is condensation on the glass in the morning before the lights come on, the humidity is about right. I open the enclosure every day to check on my pygmies and feed them, which allows fresh air into the enclosure. If you have this kind of set up and the humidity is right, you shouldn't need to mist every day and I only mist enough to give them water to drink on the leaves.

I have a screen lid but I could put something on it if the humidity is too low other then that do you think everything else is good?

Why is the dirt layer so thick? You could take out several inches of dirt, especially on that one side, and plant more plants for the pygmies to hide in. They do still like to climb in addition to being able to crawl on the ground. I only use 2-3" of dirt in my vivs and then lots of plants.

I made it like a slope so the right side has more dirt. the left side is just a lil bit over two its the leaves that make it look like more plus the picture looks crappy here but the right side is 3.5? is that okay or no? I put a pothos on the right hopefully isn't die and I can wrap the vines around some of the sticks I have. i was thinking of getting another plant too for the right side

I agree with Ferret. The thickness of the dirt didn't register with me before. That much dirt limits the vertical space for them to climb. It'd be better to remove at least half of the dirt. You can still slope it, but just remove a few inches across the whole bottom.

Both sides, im still looking for plants for my viv but i would suggest a mini palm and/or small scheffler(umbrella plant)

Both sides, im still looking for plants for my viv but i would suggest a mini palm and/or small scheffler(umbrella plant)

you still haven't gotten your pygmys? but I have two small umbrella plants in there but they were kind of dying. hopefully they all sprout out

I agree with others: a little less dirt, so that the pygmies have more vertical climbing space; and another plant.

Also, the dirt looks dry. If the dirt is dry, I suggest slowly mixing in some water until you have moist soil -- not water-logged or wet, just moist. Moist soil adds humidity to the entire cage.

I used a 10 gallon glass enclosure with screen top for our pygmy. I had a layer of hydro balls - mesh - eco earth and planted pothos right into it. The pothos grew right up and around the vines. I don't think the substrate was more than 2-3 in tops. I misted it 2x a day and watered the plants 1x a week.

Did you guys use any lights for.your plants to grow?

I had a bonsi a while back but my brother took it and put it in his bearded dragon cage lol

I have a blue and white led plant light I got off of amazon for around $30 shipped. It has worked out really well.

Back
Top Bottom