Pygmy Species Hybrids

Ashley

ummm, ok. So I know that different species of pymies do not copulate but there is some love going on in my cage. I have a temporalis male who is on top of my brev female.

There was definatly penetration...

At first I couldn't find her and I freaked and then I saw him on her and I freaked. Is this normal behavior....?

DSC02008.jpg

DSC02006.jpg

I don't understand why you are keeping two species of opposite sex together in the same enclosure ???

-Brad

Have I not already mentioned to the both of you (remember the GTP thread?) the importance of keeping different species separated?

t

Last edited:
*sigh*

I know technically they are different but I thought a pygmy was a pygmy. I never read anything about a brev could or couldn't be kept with a temporalis.

It was never addressed, nor did I think it was an issue to address myself.

They were sold to me as a set, i was just glad they weren't the same because I didn't not want a mating pair.
I am guessing that this is when I seperate them....

There are lots of hybrid species in captivity from one extreme (eg cross-bred dogs) to the other (lion x tiger). Chances are the eggs will be infertile but if they're not and you have viable offspring make certain that the offspring don't interbreed. As far as I'm aware hybrid vigour is good for only 1 generation, after that you greatly increase the risk of deleterious genes and from a welfare perspective thats bad.

More like a panther mating with an Oustalet's chameleon.

Hybrid discussion....

Its actually more like a a Jackson's Chameleon (Chamaeleo jacksonii) mating with a Western Usambara Two-horned Chameleon (Kinyongia multituberculata). Brevs are Rieppeleon brevicaudatus and temps are Rhampholeon temporalis - different genera.

Chris

Well then...I guess it's better that I found this out sooner rather than later. I hope there are no eggs.

Since were slightly touching the subject of different species being housed with different species I wanted to to ask if I could eventually use a pygmy as a feeder for my adult veiled? I plan on gut loading him as normal and then releasing him into my veileds cage.
I wanted to first see their interaction and if it would stress either at all. Then see how many days it actually takes them to find each other. Then eventually once they find eac hother... would he eat him. Anyway, its just an idea as of now but would this work. Has anyone here tried feeding other reptiles or chams to their chams?

That actually made my stomach turn! I think the pygmies are way too cute for that and besides, why on earth would you have a $30 feeder?

hey chamero. I doubt people on here would want you to do that. There are vids on youtube that have chams eating other chams, anoles, pinkies and other things. I think someone posted on here there vid of a veiled eating an anole. The outcome post was how big it was for there cham and the big possibility of parasites and simpily why would you do that. When I brought my brev home from the pet shop I got him out of the container and was showing my gf. It was infront of my female panthers cage and well she came jetting over there with her tongue ready to shoot at it.

Ethically it's no different than feeding off a cockroach or silkworm.
It happens in nature and life is life.
However, you won't hear about it happening here.

-Brad

What I didnt think you would be into that trace hahaha. what were the circumstances, curiosity, nutrition, just plain evil hahaha.

I've fed a brev to a melleri before. The brev was a CB that was growing strangely (short blunt head) so he was fed off to a subadult CB melleri.

Chris

Its actually more like a a Jackson's Chameleon (Chamaeleo jacksonii) mating with a Western Usambara Two-horned Chameleon (Kinyongia multituberculata). Brevs are Rieppeleon brevicaudatus and temps are Rhampholeon temporalis - different genera.

Chris

Ahhhhh!! Got me. The Rieppeleon change strikes again.

Back
Top Bottom