Pygmy help

Mark97

Many pygmy cham owners here? I'm getting very mixed opinions on husbandry.
My initial research showed keep them very much like dart frogs, which I am very experienced in. Glass vivarium, very high humidity. Room temperature, UV not required. Leaf litter based with sticks and twigs.
Further reading is suggesting 2.0 UV is required. I am seeing a lot of exoterra type enclosures. How are people holding such high humidity in a mesh topped enclosure?

The species in question is Brookesia stumpffi.
Also I would be interested in people's supplementation routine and supplements of choice.

I've never kept dart frogs so I have not much of an idea of how to keep them. I have kept brookesia theili and perarmata a long time ago....but I don't recall having any other brookesia.

I always had UVB on the forest floor dwelling type of chameleons though...and kept them in exoterra glass ventilated cages. I also never kept the humidity really high. Don't forget I live in Ontario Canada so it might make a difference.

However...this might help a bit...
https://www.adcham.com/html/taxonomy/species/bstumpffi.html

Last edited:
Many pygmy cham owners here? I'm getting very mixed opinions on husbandry.
My initial research showed keep them very much like dart frogs, which I am very experienced in. Glass vivarium, very high humidity. Room temperature, UV not required. Leaf litter based with sticks and twigs.
Further reading is suggesting 2.0 UV is required. I am seeing a lot of exoterra type enclosures. How are people holding such high humidity in a mesh topped enclosure?

The species in question is Brookesia stumpffi.
Also I would be interested in people's supplementation routine and supplements of choice.
I partially covered the top with glass and I use a uvb, you also can use a small fan on and off. Go with fully bioactive and boil everything you put inside your terrarium before to avoid certains type of nematode who can harms the eggs. I can grab few pictures of my brookesia tanks if you want. Loaded with plants, branches, sphagnum moss, bromeliads and twigs :)

I partially covered the top with glass and I use a uvb, you also can use a small fan on and off. Go with fully bioactive and boil everything you put inside your terrarium before to avoid certains type of nematode who can harms the eggs. I can grab few pictures of my brookesia tanks if you want. Loaded with plants, branches, sphagnum moss, bromeliads and twigs :)
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Some pics would be appreciated. See how it marries up to what I am imagining. Full bioactive is the plan though.

Thanks a lot for the reply.
Some pics would be appreciated. See how it marries up to what I am imagining. Full bioactive is the plan though.
sorry, my cell phone camera just broke :/ will try to fix this soon but for the moment images are impossible :( I might check one facebook, if my memory good I post few things, maybe I can forward it

Back
Top Bottom