pygmy gout/feet swelling. update + xrays

fishinmyhead

i just wanted to post this just in case anyone has the same problem as me...
ok so to follow up on my pygmy foot/ joint swelling:
i had 3 different dvms look at him. i took a few x rays. excuse my digital camera, it didn't take very good pictures of the x rays, but you can kind of see them
it looks like he has a little bit more density in his back legs (where the swelling is) so... gout prop...

we wanted to do blood work, but because he only weighs 5 whole grams none of the drs (or me) felt convertible drawing any blood from him. so no way to check BUN or Creat levels.
then we thought maybe can will aspirate the swollen areas and see if we could see any uric acid crystals under the microscope. but again, the smallest needle we could find (a 29 gauge) was way too big. plus the stress of that...
so i have him on a dilute metacam (meloxicam) once a day (0.5mg/ml)
and oral baytril (4.5mg/ml) once a day by mouth also.

baytil because since we cant 100% know its gout, IF its in some way an abscess it can help... (were hoping for the best here...)

iv given him the metacam for 2 days now and i can say its helping ALOT! he went from being a very sallow yellow color and trying to climb out of the cage (unusual hyperactivity, prob because of discomfort) to back to his beautiful brown and greens and stripes. he sleeps at night and is sitting still more. also trying to use his back legs where as before it was clearly too painful and he just dragged them around.

so.. right now im watching him carefully and hopefully its something that gets better. but if not i will make sure he goes peacfully.
thanks to everyone who has helped me. i always appreciate it!!
ill keep you posted.

Attachments

• rads5.jpg
    rads5.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 132
  • rads4.jpg
    rads4.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 113
  • rads3.jpg
    rads3.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 151
  • rads2.jpg
    rads2.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 148
  • rads1.jpg
    rads1.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 147
Granted I don't know much about gout in chameleons(just people), have you started him on a gout medicine? Meloxicam is good for inflammation but to truly help the problem you might need to do like allupurinol(not even sure if chams can take this).

Back
Top Bottom