Pygmy chameleon with black legs and tail.

jojothefirst

Hi.
I got a female bearded pygmy today as a present.
The people lookin after her said she's been eating well and v active but since yesterday she has black rear legs and a black tail!
She seems fine apart from she seems to be avoiding using her back left leg.
I know when I put my last female in with my lone male his legs and head turned black for 24 hours then he settled down and has been fine so I put that down to the stress of a new arrival. Could this new female be stressed?
I have also read that if there bruised they can go black and this might explain the lack use in the 1 rear leg. Is this true? Could she have fallen?
She has no obvious signs of a brake or swelling.

The tank they were in was only around a foot tall...... so if she did fall from that high could it do enough damage to bruise both rear legs and her tail?
If its internal, what sort things could it be?
I can't find anything exactly like this on this forum or 2 others!

I believe impaction can cause this sort of thing along with leg paralysis. Maybe she broke her hip? I couldn't exactly tell you what could be wrong. Maybe someone else can. I wouldn't get too attached though...

Thank for trying to help but the leg isn't paralysed as such, shes able to move the leg but doesn't ever try to grip with it. Her other 3 legs are fine aswell so I don't think its either of those things.

Would a cricket bite be able to hurt her foot to this extent and cause the black legs and tail?

I believe impaction can cause this sort of thing along with leg paralysis. Maybe she broke her hip? I couldn't exactly tell you what could be wrong. Maybe someone else can. I wouldn't get too attached though...

126 views and only 2 people trying to help!

It is very hard to help more than what has already been posted without pictures and the filled out "How to ask for help" form.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

As for what you described it could a lot of stuff, a fall, calcium deficiency, impaction, vitamin deficiency, even old age.

About a month ago I got a baby veiled shipped, he had black on his knees and tail for about a week but then went away. Maybe its just bruised?

Back
Top Bottom