Pygmy Cham, swollen ankle

WombatZombat

One of my female pygmies has developed a swollen ankle joint - just the 1, the other 4 limbs are fine. She can still grip with the foot but often when she resting against a branch it is not being used for grip.

She has the same care as the other 4 pygmies, none of which have developed any problems. I believe they are all WC. She has been to the vet and I was advised she is too small to x-ray, and too small to risk blood sampling; also that it was unlikely to be MBD or arthritis. There is no opportunity for her to get burnt in her enclosure, and she is on the same diet as the others indicate that gout is unlikely. There is no indication of any external wounding. She is feeding as normal and appears otherwise healthy.

Possible use of antibiotics has currently been ruled out due to the huge risk of overdosing her - again due to size.

Any thoughts?

2008_0302Zelda0005.jpg

I've given pygmies antibiotics before. It's a bit challenging, but it's possible.
The swollen ankle could be a sign of a bone infection, which are pretty tough infections to deal with.
My montium had a bone infection when I first got him, he was put on antibiotics (batryl), but the vet was expecting to have to amputate. Fortunately the betryl did the job and Monty recovered. That was more then 2 years ago now and he's still with us.

How did you administer the antibiotics? (assuming I do end up going down that route)

I was wondering whether there were any cases of joint swelling that have been resolved with topical treatments?

I'm not a vet, but doesn't it almost looks like a break because of the angle of the swollen part to the rest of the leg?

I'm not a vet, but doesn't it almost looks like a break because of the angle of the swollen part to the rest of the leg?

I don't think so, the angle of the shot isn't the best and does exaggerate it a little. I didn't want to take any more shots because of stressing her out.

Try to imagine looking at her leg from the side on assuming that she holds it vertically straight. The leg and claws parallel, the swelling is more or less to the rear of the ankle.

Back
Top Bottom