Putting it All Together?

m1ndless

I am building my enclosure out of 2x2 wood posts, what would be the best way to connect the pieces?

My plan is to use L-Brackets (pic) to connect all the corners, would these work alright?

I assume I would need to drill pilot holes before putting the screws in, right? How do I figure out what size drill bit to use, is it the same size as the screw or what?

Should I use wood glue to help hold the pieces together or no?

Pilot holes shouldn't be needed if you use the proper screw. Exterior wood screws, like what you would use on a fence or deck would be best.

I used screws and wood glue. Then cocking on the inside to ensure no cracks.
If you want to be able to take it apart every, skip the glue :)

What size screws, and where did you insert them? Did you do like angle screws on the insides or just screw from the outside of the frame?

Yes to wood glue...

L brackets no

if you can mitre cut your pieces you will be able to hide all your hardware which will make for a cleaner looking cage.

OPI

Yes to wood glue...

L brackets no

if you can mitre cut your pieces you will be able to hide all your hardware which will make for a cleaner looking cage.

OPI

I am using a hand saw for everything, and why no on the L brackets?

I am new to wood working, so any help would be great

If you're going through a 2x2, then use a 2.5 or 3" screw, straight into the wood frrom outside the frame, no angle. The wood is strong enough on its own. The L brackets would be overkill, and are likely to react to any water that gets on them

If you are using a hand saw, I recommend something like this: http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber
These are a necessity for hand saws and allow you to accurately make angled and straight cuts.

Having edges meet at a 45* angle and putting a screw in both from above and the side will make your cage incredibly strong. Don't forget the glue. (unless you want to take it apart in the future of course) The glue will account for most of the strengh in the joint once dried and cured.

Last edited:
If you're going through a 2x2, then use a 2.5 or 3" screw, straight into the wood frrom outside the frame, no angle. The wood is strong enough on its own. The L brackets would be overkill, and are likely to react to any water that gets on them

If you are using a hand saw, I recommend something like this: http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber
These are a necessity for hand saws and allow you to accurately make angled and straight cuts.

Having edges meet at a 45* angle and putting a screw in both from above and the side will make your cage incredibly strong. Don't forget the glue. (unless you want to take it apart in the future of course) The glue will account for most of the strengh in the joint once dried and cured.

Thanks for the tips, I might look for something like that for the cuts.

I was not sure if the long screws would split the wood, but I will give it a shot this weekend.

Thanks for the tips, I might look for something like that for the cuts.

I was not sure if the long screws would split the wood, but I will give it a shot this weekend.

Just make sure you go as close to the centre as you can. You may find it easier to put the screw through one piece of wood, back it ou a bit, then put it through both pieces. Use 2.5" screws if you're concerned about splitting

It's not the length of the screw that will split the wood but the diameter of the screw. To drill a pilot hole will make sure u don't split the wood as well. I would recommend using a #4 or a #6 wood screw at 2.5" long. The #4 will not need a pilot hole but the #6 is iffy. Good luck

Thanks, I will look for those screws at HD this afternoon.

Would it be easier to paint the wood now, or once I put the frame together?

Back
Top Bottom