Purple heart wandering Jew plant okay?

Ashleigh

Are the purple heart wandering jew plants okay for chameleon enclosures? I see wandering jew on the safe plant list, but it's a different kind, and I wasn't sure if anyone has used this before? Here is a link to a picture:
http://zvetki.ru/rgimage/150_317.jpg

I just have some lying around, and it would add a lot of color, but it needs to be safe of course! Thanks for any replies:)

It is listed in the FL chams one

Under W:
WANDERING JEW (Zebrina pendula)
WAX BEGONIA (B. semperflorens)
WAX PLANT also HOYA (Hoya carnosa) - Vine
WEEPING FIG also BENJAMINA also FICUS (Ficus benjamina)
WILLOW (Salix sp.) - Tree

But the one I have is a different scientific name than that one. I think there are multiple kinds and mine is solid purple and that one has stripes and the leaves are different

@AmandaS So I decided against using these for my veiled... Even though I heard from others that it was potentially safe... But my reasoning was a little different. Beman will crawl all over his plants and eat them. My concern was more about the strength of the wandering jew vines. They are not robust and strong. So with a young cham they may be able to hold up and not break but for my 9 months old his grip is intense. I tried a Dracena briefly with him but he tore it up. So I am back to 3 different varieties of pothos plants. They grow very robust sturdy vines that he loves to walk on and he adores chewing on the leaves. They are also very forgiving and easy to grow. Just make sure with any live plant you pick that you will want to put large river rock 1 inch and bigger on the top layer of the soil to keep him out of it. :)

Good to know--I really like the look of T. pallida and could see it making an attractive cover plant in a vivarium. On the other hand, it sounds like chams can hurt themselves jumping onto to branches without checking to see if they can support their weight?

Good to know--I really like the look of T. pallida and could see it making an attractive cover plant in a vivarium. On the other hand, it sounds like chams can hurt themselves jumping onto to branches without checking to see if they can support their weight?

IME chams are careful about checking the strength of things before committing fully.

Back
Top Bottom