Puerto Rico legal

Craigwyatt

Avid Member
i have a customer that wants me to ship some Panther chameleons to him in Puerto Rico. I know veileds are legal to ship there but I can't figure out if panthers are. In a situation like this I will not take the customers word for it to be legal. If you can help me figure this out I would greatly appreciate it.
Ty
Craig Wyatt

I remember a few years ago I bought a panther cham and at the time, it was illegal. The guy that sold it to me said that that law was supposed to change within that week and then become legal to own and sell. I'd suggest you contact Recursos Naturales of Puerto Rico and ask them; they should give you the correct answer.

Last edited:
Reptiles express website says they will only ship veiled chameleons to PR, could be worth a call they may have details and they speak English.

That's whom I ship with. They told me the list of reptiles that were allowed but wasn't absolutely positive those were the only animals. Amy @ reptiles express has been looking into for me this morning.

2 great minds think alike!!

I can call for you today if you'd like!
Here is the number if you decide to call yourself. They may or may not have good english. It's a hit or miss honestly: (787) 999-2200

Last edited:
Reptiles express website says they will only ship veiled chameleons to PR, could be worth a call they may have details and they speak English.
That's strange. I know for sure that Jacksons are also legal, since they sell them at PetSmart and big companies like that can't get away with selling animals illegally so easily.

Has anyone found out any new info on This? I live in Puerto Rico and would like to get a Panther chameleon. I don't speak any Spanish.

I remember a few years ago I bought a panther cham and at the time, it was illegal. The guy that sold it to me said that that law was supposed to change within that week and then become legal to own and sell. I'd suggest you contact Recursos Naturales of Puerto Rico and ask them; they should give you the correct answer.
I can call for you today if you'd like!
Here is the number if you decide to call yourself. They may or may not have good english. It's a hit or miss honestly: (787) 999-2200

@Craigwyatt I've had to deal with this department many times and it is challenging if you are not fluent in Spanish. I've also found they don't always answer the phone. They do try to help, but it can be a real problem when neither speaks the same language. Have a Spanish speaker call for you and double and triple check their regulations. US Fish and Wildlife doesn't always get their rules correct--small underfunded government departments in a US territory that is close to bankrupt means it will be severely understaffed.

You should be able to call them from your cell as a local call since they are a US territory. (I used to live for many years in the US Virgin Islands--St. Croix--and traveled through Puerto Rico every time I left St. Croix.)

Back
Top Bottom