Pros and Cons of Ambanja vs. Nosy Be

Bazelthechameleon

Avid Member
Hi everyone! I will be getting a chameleon in a couple of weeks and we are debating between two breeds; Ambanjas or Nosy Bes. We are looking for a chameleon that is a little more social and docile and it would be helpful if it's a little more sturdy. We live in New York so it gets quite cold in the winter and I have an 8 year old little sister who will probably want to see it once in a while. Based on what we are looking for, which one of these breeds do you think will be better for us? I've done lots of research but I would really appreciate her input! Many Thanks!

What you are describing isnt a breed difference but a locale difference. Both are Panther Chameleon. I'm sure an expert can correct me if I'm wrong. Different breed would be Veiled vs Jackson's, vs Panther.. This is how I understand it

^^^^ exactly this

OP This is the exact same species... The difference is locale meaning where in Madagascar they come from. The locale also tells you the type of colors as an adult they will display.

Chameleons as a whole are not social and are not docile. They are more of a look and don't touch animal. While Panther Chameleons can be more tolerant of people then a Veiled chameleon is this does not mean that they are a hold all the time animal.

I would suggest you start reading through this husbandry program. Chameleons are not an easy animal to keep. They require critical thinking and the exact environment to thrive. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

^^^^ exactly this

OP This is the exact same species... The difference is locale meaning where in Madagascar they come from. The locale also tells you the type of colors as an adult they will display.

Chameleons as a whole are not social and are not docile. They are more of a look and don't touch animal. While Panther Chameleons can be more tolerant of people then a Veiled chameleon is this does not mean that they are a hold all the time animal.

I would suggest you start reading through this husbandry program. Chameleons are not an easy animal to keep. They require critical thinking and the exact environment to thrive. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Thank you! I'm aware that you should not touch them! I plan to only handle once in a while on special occasions. I was just wondering if one of them is more socail then the other even if they are both panther chameleons. I might just have to pick based on which color is prettier haha

Thank you! I'm aware that you should not touch them! I plan to only handle once in a while on special occasions. I was just wondering if one of them is more socail then the other even if they are both panther chameleons. I might just have to pick based on which color is prettier haha
That is how you pick Panthers... Based on their Locale (color) and gender. There is no other difference with this species. https://www.madcham.de/en/category/...ten/lokalformen-von-furcifer-pardalis/page/2/

Chameleons are just like other animals with respect to temperament...some will be more aggressive than others...some will be calmer and more accepting of handling than others. Some start off more aggressive and end up being able accept contact with you and some start off rather accepting and become aggressive. There's no way to be sure what the outcome will be.

Colors are the biggest differences in locales. But there are also slight differences in head structure. Ambanjas in particular are known for having a more prominent nose shape than other locales. If that doesn't matter to you, pick the Nosy Be if you want a blue chameleon and pick the Ambanja if you want a more purpley/red/blue chameleon.

As mentioned, friendliness should not be a factor since it's a tossup. Very similar to cats in that way.

Back
Top Bottom