Proposal to add Rhampholeon and Rieppeleon ssp. to CITES Appendix II

Chris Anderson

Dr. House of Chameleons
At the seventeenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties (being held from 24 September-05 October 2016 in Johannesburg, South Africa), CITES will consider a number of proposals for inclusion of different species on Appendices I and II. Among them is a proposal for the inclusion of the genera Rhampholeon spp. and Rieppeleon spp. in Appendix II. Currently only a single species from these genera is listed on any appendix of CITES (Rhampholeon spinosus due to its prior inclusion in another genera), and they otherwise are the only chameleon species not listed on either Appendix II or I. A draft of the proposal can be read here: https://cites.org/sites/default/files/eng/cop/17/prop/US_Chamaeleonidae_Rampholeon.pdf

Chris

And, I would doubt anyone has much of an idea how robust the wild populations are or how much habitat loss or trade pressure they experience. After all, Appendix II isn't a complete BAN on commerce, its managed trade. That in itself means they would be gathering more information through quotas, permits, populations being targeted, etc. Not bad things to promote.

In the lead up to the CITES CoP at the end of September, the CITES Secretariat has just released its own recommendations regarding the various proposals to change the CITES Appendix level listings for various species (as required by the text of the Convention). The CITES Secretariat has recommended that the two proposals to list the remaining Rhampholeon spp. and Rieppeleon spp. on CITES Appendix II be adopted (https://cites.org/sites/default/files/eng/cop/17/En-CoP17_List_of_proposals_23082016.pdf). The individual CITES Parties will still need to examine the evaluations and recommendations relating to each proposal to make their own decisions about which proposals should be adopted and which rejected, which is officially decided at the CoP, but at this point the proposal appears to have support, at least from the Secretariat. Proposals for amendment of Appendices I and II species that were adopted at both CoP12 and the latest CoP (CoP16) went into effect 90 days after the close of the CoP. Based on that, and assuming that is standard, IF either of these proposals are officially adopted at CoP17, it would go into effect January 3rd, 2017.

Chris

Today at the seventeenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties (CoP17), a proposal for the inclusion of the genera Rhampholeon spp. and Rieppeleon spp. in CITES Appendix II was accepted by consensus in Committee I. All matters agreed by the Committees at CoP17 go to the Closing Plenary on October 4th and 5th for formal adoption, where reopening of items would need the support of 1/3 Parties. This paves the way for all chameleon species to now be included on CITES Appendix II, with the exception of Brookesia perarmata, which is included on Appendix I.

That's good news! I'm really surprised there is only one species on App I... political issues?

So that means there will be limited legal trade quotas for all WC chameleons and increased profits for people dealing with chameleons on the black market?

Back
Top Bottom