Proper weight?

Skygravemix

Hello! I have had this adorable nosy be panther chameleon for about 3 weeks now. She refuses to eat in front of me. I have peaked through the door to see he munch on a cricket or a wax worm here or there. Long story short i want to make sure shes a healthy weight. She is a 2 and a half month old female nosy be. Does she look like a healthy weight? I want to make sure shes been eating enough since she refuses to eat in front of me.
20191216_133613.jpg
20191216_133723.jpg

Not uncommon for baby panthers to not eat in front of people. Is she still pooping regularly? If she’s pooping, she’s eating. Also might be a good idea to use a feeder cup instead of free ranging food to keep track of how much she eats. She doesn’t look too skinny from the pic.

Have you had your husbandry looked over? If not, might be a good idea to get another set of eyes on your husbandry to make sure everything is good to go.

You can answer these questions and that’ll be a good place to start.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

P.S. Congrats on the new little one :)

Yes! Here are the specs.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Nosy Be Panther, 2 1/2 months old, Female. Had her for 3 weeks.
  • Handling - 30 minutes, twice daily
  • Feeding - A mix of medium crickets and wax worms. About 8 crickets and 5 wax worms daily.
  • Supplements - I dust with calcium without d3 every day and then a vitamin pack once every 2 weeks
  • Watering - I use an automatic mister that sprays for 30 seconds every hour on half the cage as well as a fogger
  • Fecal Description - Poops about twice a day. Brown with white urates.
  • History - Hatch date on october 31st. Purchased from cbreptiles

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - All screen cage 18" x 18" x 36"
  • Lighting - 13 W reptisun 5.0 uvb , 60 w daylight blue, and a 100 W heat emitter. The uvb and daylight schedule is 6:30am - 6:00 pm. The heat emitter stays on throughout the night because of cold weather
  • Temperature - basking spot is 90 degrees, mid cage is low 80s and the rest of the cage reads 70 - 75 degrees.
  • Humidity - Humidity stays around 50% with spikes up to 80% when i take a shower
  • Plants - A mix of fake and real. The real plant i have is a bromeliad.
  • Placement - The cage is on a counter in the bathroom. The top of the cage is about 5 1/2' off the ground
  • Location - Southern California

Thanks for the info! Not too shabby. If you're open to it, I'm going to make a few suggestions to improve your husbandry.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Nosy Be Panther, 2 1/2 months old, Female. Had her for 3 weeks.
  • Handling - 30 minutes, twice daily Until she gets more used to you (eating in front of you, not hiding, or puffing up) I'd handle her less. No more than once a day, few times a week.
  • Feeding - A mix of medium crickets and wax worms. About 8 crickets and 5 wax worms daily. See if you can introduce some other feeders for variety. Wax worms aren't great to feed all the time. Try looking for dubia roaches, hornworms, black solider fly larvae (BSFL), superworms, etc. Are you gutloading the bugs?
  • Supplements - I dust with calcium without d3 every day and then a vitamin pack once every 2 weeks What is in the vitamin pack?
  • Watering - I use an automatic mister that sprays for 30 seconds every hour on half the cage as well as a fogger I'd cut WAYYY back on misting. Too much misting can keep the cage damp which could cause things to grow that shouldn't. Try misting twice a day. Once in the morning for 3 min and once in the evening for 3 min and see how that works for you.
  • History - Hatch date on october 31st. Purchased from cbreptiles (Aww a Halloween baby)

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - 13 W reptisun 5.0 uvb , 60 w daylight blue, and a 100 W heat emitter. The uvb and daylight schedule is 6:30am - 6:00 pm. The heat emitter stays on throughout the night because of cold weather Is the bulb a compact bulb or linear?
  • Temperature - basking spot is 90 degrees, mid cage is low 80s and the rest of the cage reads 70 - 75 degrees. 90 degrees is a bit toasty for a baby. Try to aim for a basking spot in the low 80s
  • Humidity - Humidity stays around 50% with spikes up to 80% when i take a shower
  • Placement - The cage is on a counter in the bathroom. The top of the cage is about 5 1/2' off the ground
Can you also post pics of her enclosure?

Thanks for the info! Not too shabby. If you're open to it, I'm going to make a few suggestions to improve your husbandry.

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - 30 minutes, twice daily Until she gets more used to you (eating in front of you, not hiding, or puffing up) I'd handle her less. No more than once a day, few times a week.
  • Feeding - A mix of medium crickets and wax worms. About 8 crickets and 5 wax worms daily. See if you can introduce some other feeders for variety. Wax worms aren't great to feed all the time. Try looking for dubia roaches, hornworms, black solider fly larvae (BSFL), superworms, etc. Are you gutloading the bugs?
  • Supplements - I dust with calcium without d3 every day and then a vitamin pack once every 2 weeks What is in the vitamin pack?
  • Watering - I use an automatic mister that sprays for 30 seconds every hour on half the cage as well as a fogger I'd cut WAYYY back on misting. Too much misting can keep the cage damp which could cause things to grow that shouldn't. Try misting twice a day. Once in the morning for 3 min and once in the evening for 3 min and see how that works for you.
  • History - Hatch date on october 31st. Purchased from cbreptiles (Aww a Halloween baby)

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - 13 W reptisun 5.0 uvb , 60 w daylight blue, and a 100 W heat emitter. The uvb and daylight schedule is 6:30am - 6:00 pm. The heat emitter stays on throughout the night because of cold weather Is the bulb a compact bulb or linear?
  • Temperature - basking spot is 90 degrees, mid cage is low 80s and the rest of the cage reads 70 - 75 degrees. 90 degrees is a bit toasty for a baby. Try to aim for a basking spot in the low 80s

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
Yes as you can see i posted the pics on the other thread and it is a compact bulb as well i also lowered her basking branch so its now 85 degrees. The vitamin pack will be pictured below. I changed the misting to 1 minute every 3 hours. And i meant october 1st is the hatch date. My bad

Attachments

• 15765428632391786259914576321157.jpg
    15765428632391786259914576321157.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 15765428742073476963251630619280.jpg
    15765428742073476963251630619280.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 118
So the biggest change you'll need to make is to get her on a linear UVB. The compact bulbs just don't penetrate deep or wide enough for her to be able to process the calcium in her supplements. This is especially important since she'll be laying eggs. I'd recommend getting a T5 high output (HO) linear UVB with a 6% Arcadia bulb or a Reptisun 5.0 bulb.

That's a good multivitamin. Be sure to order more when you run out of the pack.

So 1 minute for misting is too short in my opinion. The mister needs to go off long enough for your chameleon to realize what is happening a start drinking, hence why I recommended 3 minutes 2x day.

So the biggest change you'll need to make is to get her on a linear UVB. The compact bulbs just don't penetrate deep or wide enough for her to be able to process the calcium in her supplements. This is especially important since she'll be laying eggs. I'd recommend getting a T5 high output (HO) linear UVB with a 6% Arcadia bulb or a Reptisun 5.0 bulb.

That's a good multivitamin. Be sure to order more when you run out of the pack.

So 1 minute for misting is too short in my opinion. The mister needs to go off long enough for your chameleon to realize what is happening a start drinking, hence why I recommended 3 minutes 2x day.
The only problem with that is the mister i use has presets so the only options i have are ever 1,3,6, or 12 hours and the length of the misting is only for 15, 30, 45, and 60 seconds. And i just put in an order for the linear bulb and im going to pick it up at petco asap

The only problem with that is the mister i use has presets so the only options i have are ever 1,3,6, or 12 hours and the length of the misting is only for 15, 30, 45, and 60 seconds. And i just put in an order for the linear bulb and im going to pick it up at petco asap

Gotcha… Well might be worthwhile to make a dripper to help with hydration. I made a video on how to make one really easily.

To my knowledge Petco doesn't sell T5 bulbs... A T8 bulb is not the same as a T5. Can you post a pic or link of the fixture and bulb you got just to make sure you got the right one?

Does it say T5 anywhere on there? The pic gets too blurry when I try to zoom in. A link would work too.

I bought a pair of WeMo plug in timers for my mister. You plug the mister into the timer and set up the times on an app on your phone. It just turns the mister on and off, so you aren't limited by the presets on your device. Pretty cheap, I picked up 2 for 20 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom