Proper way to use the Solar Meter 6.2

aimhigher38

Just purchased a Solar Meter 6.2 and I want to know the proper way to judge the UV.... I get different readings from different areas of the enclosure and want to know whats best.

Do I point the meter up and measure on the basking area? And what range on the reading should I have ? whats considered good? and how do I know when to change the bulbs? When I point directly at the bulbs it should read what range?

The good thing here is that the baseline for the 6.2 has already been done for us. There are several sites that I used to accustom myself with the meter. You want to hold it straight up and down under the light and move it around the cage. You will get different reading due to foilage, screening and bulb build etc etc... Not necessarily under the basking area. We don't care about heat when using the UV meter. This is for UVB. We worry about heat with a thermometer. With this you want to make sure your cage averages the neccessary UVB readings through out the cage. Some areas will be higher and others lower. That is fine as your lil man walks around during the day.

As for what reading you should be getting try looking here as a starting point. I found this site VERY useful!!!
http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulWeldon.html

Have any questions feel free to pm. Sorry if that didnt make total sense I am getting sleezzzzzzz!

Back
Top Bottom