Proper lighting for a juvenile vieled chameleon?

Rango007

I have a juvenile vieled chameleon.I have him in a 24×24 ×48 screened zoo med. I have a reptisun10.0 uvb and 150watt. ZOO MED basking bulb with UVA. A Monsoon rs400 mister . Also a small umbrella plant and lots of vines and silk plants. Is this set up right?

Sounds good! You have to monitor the temperature and humidity to know for sure. Is the UVB bulb compact or linear?

Need temp reading and photos. 10.0 UVB may be too strong if your enclosure is not heavily planted. If you notice the cham closing or squinting their eyes you may need to lower it to a 5.0.

Linear UVB bulbs are best to use also. The compact UVB (Coil bulb) focuses the UVB to much so the cham will only benefit from it if they are directly under the bulb.

Top where he basks is 85-90 degrees and I have lots of shade areas( I believe). That's why I got the 10. Its a T8 reptisun 10.0. The bottom stays around 70 degrees. Humidity40-50. Here are some pictures also I haven't seen him squint his eyes

Temp at bask is 85-90 . the uvb is a T8 reptisun 10.0 the enclosure has lots of vines and brush for shade. The humidity is around 40-50. Temp around bottom is about 70. Trying to upload pics. The mister is set for every 2 hours. 30 sec duration.

Temp at bask is 85-90 . the uvb is a T8 reptisun 10.0 the enclosure has lots of vines and brush for shade. The humidity is around 40-50. Temp around bottom is about 70. Trying to upload pics. The mister is set for every 2 hours. 30 sec duration.
Make the mistings at least two or three minutes long.

Chameleons need long mistings in order to get proper hydration. My mister is set to mist between 2-5 minutes at a time and it won't flood my cage. Most of it evaporates and if it doesn't you should build a drainage system.
And about the light, make sure it's not too strong for your chams eyes just like @Graves923 said. He's a juvenile so he's more sensitive.

Chameleons need long mistings in order to get proper hydration. My mister is set to mist between 2-5 minutes at a time and it won't flood my cage. Most of it evaporates and if it doesn't you should build a drainage system.
And about the light, make sure it's not too strong for your chams eyes just like @Graves923 said. He's a juvenile so he's more sensitive.

Need temp reading and photos. 10.0 UVB may be too strong if your enclosure is not heavily planted. If you notice the cham closing or squinting their eyes you may need to lower it to a 5.0.

Linear UVB bulbs are best to use also. The compact UVB (Coil bulb) focuses the UVB to much so the cham will only benefit from it if they are directly under the bulb.
^^This is good advice about the lights!
And regarding the misting, I mist 4 times a day plus once with a misting bottle. The amount of misting depends on the humidity in your cage so you have to figure out the optimal amount for your setup

Back
Top Bottom