proper heat watt for screen cage?

You have to measure the temp and then pick the bulb... Have a 60watt in and its 150 drop it down to a 40watt... If its to cold use a bulb with more power... Ect...

Or just move the bulb further away, or closer to, the cage. If the temps measure 150 with a 60W bulb, move the bulb further away until the temps are acceptable... If it's too cold, just move the bulb closer.
That's why I think it's important to have a flexible lighting configuration above your cage (I'm not a big fan of those combo light fixtures that the reptile-brand companies sell).

Of course, there are always constraints when positioning the bulb in relation to the cage. If the basking spot is not warm enough, and you have to bring the bulb right on top of the cage to get it warm, you risk burning your cham if it climbs on the top screen of the cage. In that case, get a stronger bulb and put it further away.
Likewise, if you don't have enough space in the room to move the bulb far enough away, get a lower powered bulb.

But whatever you do, don't buy those expensive reptile-brand basking bulbs that they sell online and in pet stores. Rather just get much cheaper regular incandescent spot globes from your local home/hardware store, and use the money you saved to buy a decent digital thermometer with an outdoor temperature probe.

Then, like Chad said, measure the temps... That's the only way to get your basking lights set up correctly (and you'll probably need to modify that setup throughout the year as the seasons change and the ambient temperatures fluctuate... once again, the thermometer is your friend).

But whatever you do, don't buy those expensive reptile-brand basking bulbs that they sell online and in pet stores. Rather just get much cheaper regular incandescent spot globes from your local home/hardware store, and use the money you saved to buy a decent digital thermometer with an outdoor temperature probe.

Ok, well this is the heat bulb I have now...
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=164 But it is not warm enough for the screen cage. Temp. only 78.4 F! Are these the bulbs you are talking about? If not, should I go with this bulb in 100 watt.?

And if it is, could you give me a link to get an idea of what kind of bulb I need? And BTW, I also have a hibiscus and Pothos in the cage.

For heat/basking I use normal incandescent bulbs. These are the normal bulbs you use at home.

The bulb that you are showing the link to will not provide the UVB that your chameleon needs for calcium absorption. You need 2 bulbs with a chameleon. A flourescent UVB tube and an incandesant basking light. For the UVB tube you should be able to pick one up at a petstore. The one that you want is a Reptisun 5.0. The UVB light should span the width of the cage and your chameleon should be able to get within a few inches of it. This is EXTREMELY important for chameleons to have and without it they will eventually get MBD (not enough calcium) and die. This is exactly what you need.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...ptisun&kw=reptisun&parentPage=search&keepsr=1

Be sure to buy a fixture for the light that doesn't have a plastic cover that goes over the bulb or if it does, be sure to take it off. UVB light can not pass through glass or plastic and if it does it is of no benefit to your chameleon.

For a basking light, a regular household bulb is fine. I usually start with a 100w floodlight and see how it goes from there. Take temperature readings (with a thermometer with probe or a temp gun.. not a stick on thermometer)at the highest point that your chameleon can get to. Your chameleon should not be able to get within 6 inches of the bulb otherwise he or she will end up with nasty burns on the top of the head and along the spine. If the temperature is not high enough when the bulb is six inches away, then you need a higher watt bulb. If it is too high, then you can raise the light fixture a few inches or get a lower watt bulb.

I hope this helped some. Remember to get the UVB light as soon as possible. It is one of the most important things that you have to do to keep your chameleon healthy and, well, alive.

Back
Top Bottom