Proper egg orientation - oustaleti

spawn

So I don't know how common this is, but I figured there's no reason not to share in the event it helps others in the future.

I had a gravid female oustaleti that became very eggbound and it stopped eating. Anyways after a painstaking week of encouraging her to go into a lay bin and feed her, she finally died over night. She was obviously egg bound. Just noticeably bigger than my other female which tends to stay lean but has a healthy appetite. I've kept chameleons before, but never attempted breeding. There was no doubt this one was ready to pop (mated at least once with the male I kept her with).

Anyways, I figured there's no reason to toss the eggs with her carcass. I slit the stomach from chest to vent. I opened her up, and found 36 eggs. Most if not all appear to be white, and have a weight to them in-hand that suggests they may be viable, but only time will tell. I drug them out onto the top of the sand in the lay bin so the fluids and tissues would dry out.

Most of the eggs are connected via a thin membrane. I'm guessing I can just cut or remove the eggs from this membrane. I believe this is the way the eggs were receiving nourishment from the mother's blood stream. The eggs were somewhat soft but I believe have now hardened up being exposed to the air. I should note that this is something I am not experienced with - chameleon eggs. I've had frogs and lizards and dealt with breeding in other animals before, but this is the first time I have eggs that MAY be viable from a chameleon. I'm guessing if the eggs ARE fertile, it makes sense to just place them with the narrow point up, but on a slant. Since they were not LAID by the mother, and I did a post-mortem c-section, I cannot rely on the tried and true method of 'don't change the orientation' of the eggs. Common sense tells me to just lay the more bulbous side of the egg down against the ground. I've seen plenty of pictures of people's vermiculite bins with the eggs in them.

Anyone with a more in-depth understanding of the ova and the development please feel free to point anything out I'm missing. I figure I don't have much time to figure out the most-probable-successful orientation of the eggs before we run into die off of the embryos, so I just wanted to make this post for help as soon as possible. Mother has been dead for about 16 hours. I removed the eggs about 6 hours ago.

If you want pictures, I'm happy to post them. Just would like help from experienced people (again, these are oustaleti eggs and I have no reason but to assume the eggs are fertile - I saw ONE infertile, undeveloped ova within the innards of the mother) on proper orientation from this point forward. I figure it's best to try and save the babies so the mommy's death isn't in vain!

Hi, This should explain some. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ataraxia/607-post-death-egg-extraction.html

Next with the incubation media. I personally use vermiculite. You will need a tuper ware container that is deep enough to hold approx 1-1 1/2 inches of vermiculite, house the eggs and allow enough room for a neonate to successfully emrge from the shell if your not able to be there to take the lid off while they are hatching.

On a gram scale. Place your empty container on the scale with it on and tare it. The gram scale should now say 0. Fill the container with approx 1-1 1/2 inches of vermiculite. Now it will say 50, 70 or how ever many grams. Now you will match by weight of vermiculite with water. So if your vermic weighed 50 grams you will place 50 grams of water. when you place the water in the vermic it is important to mix it around so that the moisture is evenly placed. Flatten it out and make tiny indention's for each egg to sit in. I make this indention just deep enough that half of the egg is surrounded by the media and half is exposed to the air. Next incubate at what you have researched temps to be.

Good luck :)

Thank you. I'm glad to see someone else has done exactly what I have before.

So I'm guessing based on what your blog alluded to...I'm just sitting the eggs upright as if they were chicken eggs in a carton?

You don't have to place them in any special order or direction, horizontally is how everyone places their eggs in the incubation media to hatch babies. If anything, the female would have laid them with the narrower end first, so that the end of least resistance leads the way for the rest of the egg. But they do not need to incubate upright, and I've never seen it done with chameleons (or chickens).

At this point nothing has happened within the eggs that would kill the eggs if you were to rotate them. This won't happen for a little bit so you have a lot more freedom to place them to incubate without worrying about that. After you settle them though, don't move them again.

Just like this is fine, for example. With the egg half buried in the medium (here they've reached full size and are starting to shrink right before hatching, so they don't look so buried but it gives you the general idea).

october8eggs1.jpg

Just like this is fine, for example. With the egg half buried in the medium (here they've reached full size and are starting to shrink right before hatching, so they don't look so buried but it gives you the general idea).

october8eggs1.jpg

I thought I might point out the pen mark on the egg.This is an awesome idea just in case the eggs need moved,or an accident happens and the eggs get tossed around. You can put them back in the same position.

Back
Top Bottom