propagating moss (safely)

Calypratus

Established Member
I know i've been inactive for a super long time, with my school starting in the Fall and all. I was just wondering if it would safe to propagate moss from my backyard/nearby forest trail, and how I would do it. I know lots of people are super versed into bioactive things and plants and stuff, so I'm assuming some of you can help me. I'm hoping to make a small vivarium with an old ten gallon tank.

I cant answer your moss question, but that ten gallon tank isn't going to be for a chameleon, right?

I have some that I kept separated for a while. I soaked it in distilled water for a few hours, which got some of the bugs out... then dipped it in clean distilled water and let it dry. I put it in a separate container for a few weeks and then into the cham cage. I found that the moss and ferns died back a little, then rebounded.

You could also create a co2 bomb container to bomb the moss. It will give it a growth boost and also kill any bugs living in it.

I haven't had much luck with my moss actually spreading and creating new growth outside of the area I harvested, unfortunately.

I remember some crazy propagation thing of taking dried moss and blending it with buttermilk???? and applying it where you want it to grow. Don't follow these instructions but I'd swear I have that in some container gardening book.

I remember some crazy propagation thing of taking dried moss and blending it with buttermilk???? and applying it where you want it to grow. Don't follow these instructions but I'd swear I have that in some container gardening book.

I have seen this as well. Never tried it. You just blend it up and literally paint it on

I'd have to find the reference to be sure but I found it mentioned on line as well (so it must be true) and it says you can use buttermilk or beer.

I think I might try it! I’m probably going to collect some moss this weekend and see what method works best, for future reference.

I'd have to find the reference to be sure but I found it mentioned on line as well (so it must be true) and it says you can use buttermilk or beer.

I think I seen it on a dart frog build video on YouTube. I have also seen it referenced on other sites.

I think I might try it! I’m probably going to collect some moss this weekend and see what method works best, for future reference.

Let us know how it works.

I have some that I kept separated for a while. I soaked it in distilled water for a few hours, which got some of the bugs out... then dipped it in clean distilled water and let it dry. I put it in a separate container for a few weeks and then into the cham cage. I found that the moss and ferns died back a little, then rebounded.

You could also create a co2 bomb container to bomb the moss. It will give it a growth boost and also kill any bugs living in it.

I haven't had much luck with my moss actually spreading and creating new growth outside of the area I harvested, unfortunately.

Really what kind of moss was it?

Sphag will grow, I dont think its possible for sphag to not grow if its kept wet lol.

I have sphag growing where a plant died but the moss survived and is still growing... Stuff is like a weed.

I like Serps vids, however the mosses he has there, like the carpet moss, sheet moss, and reindeer moss, I have all those as well they seem alive (hard to tell with reindeer moss) but they defiantly are not growing. My sphag dies, then grows back x10 though lol.

I think growing moss is a practice of patience more than anything. Ferns too like Snitz said. I have some Tuberous sword ferns in my Panthers viv. I put one in and with in a couple weeks it was nothing but sticks.

I let it be and got another to try again. Now months later, the second one is almost down to sticks, and the first one has all new leaves and shoots and is looking good. I think those water hungry ferns and mosses just like to die back, and then start to regrow. I think with those ferns as well, they focus more on roots. I wanted to move one the other day, that things roots no joke almost went to the other side of the Viv, at least 3ft look root on it. I heard they were like weeds and may strangle other plants, I am going to keep an eye for that. I am okay with if they want to pop up all over, but not okay with them killing other plants.

Really what kind of moss was it?

Sphag will grow, I dont think its possible for sphag to not grow if its kept wet lol.

I have sphag growing where a plant died but the moss survived and is still growing... Stuff is like a weed.

I like Serps vids, however the mosses he has there, like the carpet moss, sheet moss, and reindeer moss, I have all those as well they seem alive (hard to tell with reindeer moss) but they defiantly are not growing. My sphag dies, then grows back x10 though lol.

I think growing moss is a practice of patience more than anything. Ferns too like Snitz said. I have some Tuberous sword ferns in my Panthers viv. I put one in and with in a couple weeks it was nothing but sticks.

I let it be and got another to try again. Now months later, the second one is almost down to sticks, and the first one has all new leaves and shoots and is looking good. I think those water hungry ferns and mosses just like to die back, and then start to regrow. I think with those ferns as well, they focus more on roots. I wanted to move one the other day, that things roots no joke almost went to the other side of the Viv, at least 3ft look root on it. I heard they were like weeds and may strangle other plants, I am going to keep an eye for that. I am okay with if they want to pop up all over, but not okay with them killing other plants.

I think its pillow joss and sheet moss... can't recall for sure. It's alive, just not spreading (after a few months). Perhaps I'll try the moss slurry and see if I can seed a grow box with it.

I think its pillow joss and sheet moss... can't recall for sure. It's alive, just not spreading (after a few months). Perhaps I'll try the moss slurry and see if I can seed a grow box with it.

Yep same here, alive not growing and have buttermilk, so might also try that :).

is there anything I can do to prevent mold growth while propagating moss? I know they need to be kept in a moist environment and I am worried about mold growth.

Curious question, why buttermilk? What in it helps with growth?

It’s basically just a glue to stick the moss spores on. The acidity may help the moss grow but that could also be a myth lol.

is there anything I can do to prevent mold growth while propagating moss? I know they need to be kept in a moist environment and I am worried about mold growth.

Any newly setup Vic will get some mold growth but should subside in a couple weeks. If it lasts more then a few weeks remove said moldy piece.

I recently setup a new tank for some dart frogs. It grew a bit of mold on some pieces but it was just getting use to the environmental conditions. All gone now. The clean up crew might of taken care of it as well.

I have several types of moss in the new tank but only one type has started to grow in.
FE09F485-A3E3-4CBF-A483-82993E38314A.jpeg

Whatever this moss is has started to grown in.
1356772A-DE52-443E-B39A-28D9E2A5F766.jpeg

Wow! that's a beautiful vivarium! The one I'm planning to put the moss in will use temperate plants native to my state. Do you have any tips?

Back
Top Bottom