Prolapse. Any help would be great.

Hoj

Friendly Grasshopper
I have not been on here much lately but pop in now and then.
However today I could use some help. My boy Gizmo ( male nosy be 5 approx 5 yrs old ) seems to have a rectal prolapse. I have done the sugar water soak and KY jelly and repeat. I was then able to get it back it but within 20 min it seems to be back out. I believe he is some what impacted ( don't know why as he doesn't over eat or get too large of feeders and has the typical setup and care )
The reason I am thinking its due to impaction is that when I was massaging the rectum back in he was pushing and attempting to make a bowel movement as some urate was coming out. I believe he is still trying to make the bowel movement and as such is pushing the rectum back out.

So my question is are there any ideas out there as to how I could get the bowel movement loosened up so he can pass it and or any other ideas. I have also tried applying powdered sugar to help reduce the swelling.
The vet is not an option until possibly late tomorrow and I am hesitant as I assume they are going to to the same thing as me with maybe the addition of a suture to keep the vent closed, witch will not allow the feces to pass that I suspect is the cause of the issue.

I am contemplating a long shower to possibly help get the feces moving but not sure if the warmth will benefit of irritate the prolapse.
For those who don't know me I keep many Chams but have not had to deal with this issue and Gizmo is my pride and joy. I really can't imagine loosing my lil blue man.

Thx for reading any help is appreciated

I have been through prolapse a couple times with my guys. If it is rectal prolapse, that a very hard one to deal with. If you want to save him I would advise getting him to the vets ASAP for a better chance at recovering. If he is impacted also the vet can clean that out when they do surgery.

I don't have anything to add except good luck to you and your chameleon! I have not seen you on here for so long I did not even know you were keeping chameleons any more! I hope things turn out well for your boy.

Hoj I am so sorry. I know how much you love Gizmo. I have beef a while you have had him. I hope a vet is able to help. Please let me know how it goes. Sending hugs and prayers.

Reactions: Hoj
Thx guys. It's back in again and I hope it stays. Gizmo will most likely being heading to the vet tomorrow as he is my best chammy buddy and I will do everything I can for him.
Thx for the article Lynda it was a good read and I will be showing it to the vet.
And Carol I know I'm not on here much anymore. But I am more into Chams than ever currently have over 30 adults and about 75 babies. And have hatched out almost 250 little ones this year. All that combined with having a new human baby, working 50+ hours a week makes it very hard to find time for the internet.
I do pop in from time to time and read and make the odd post. I haven't forgot about my cf family and will forever be in debt to this site and members for all the knowledge over the years.
Thx again everyone and keep Gizmo in your thoughts.

And Carol I know I'm not on here much anymore. But I am more into Chams than ever currently have over 30 adults and about 75 babies. And have hatched out almost 250 little ones this year. All that combined with having a new human baby, working 50+ hours a week makes it very hard to find time for the internet.

Yay---someone more insane with chams than I am! :D

Congrats on the houseful of babies--especially the new human one!
How wonderful!

I also hope that Gizmo heals up quickly.

Reactions: Hoj
Good luck at the vets.

If he passed any feces. I would take a look at it to be sure he does not have parasites.

I've tried sugar water, put ice on it to make it shrink, preperation H, and it's only s temp solution. They don't survive. Your best bet is the vet asap, if the rectum has any dark areas it's too late, it means that area is dead tissue. I took one to the vet with a very small area that had dark, they stich it up to hold it in bit he still passed.i beleive it's from too many superworms and dubias it impacts them, thats my opinion. Good luck with your boy

My Gizmo is at the vets now I was able to get it back in and it has stayed but figured seeing the vet was still the best bet.
Please send positive thoughts to my lil blue man.

Sending lots of good thoughts your way. I am sure he will be fine. I haven't even seen pictures in a while. Not since you sent me the book. I love the pictures of all your chams.

Laurie check out ehchameleons.com on Facebook there are a ton of new pics. I plan to do a update on here a well.
Thx for the positive thoughts for my gizzy. He's going under anesthesia as we speak to get a few stiches to hopefully keep the prolapse from happening again.
My poor boy I'm so sad and scared for him.

We Gizmo made it thru the anesthesia and the stiches. The vet gave some antibiotics that will need to be administered via injection every 72 hours.
Now lets just wish for a full and speedy recovery.
Thx again for all the support
Love this forum and my Cham family

I had three young quads get rectal prolapses over the past 3 years. With all of them, the problem coincided with a change of temperature, misting cycles and duration.

While I can't say for sure what caused them to get prolapses, two of them died days after having a stitch put in by a vet to reduce the chances of the rectum prolapsing a second time. With the third quad, I tried something different. I simply but carefully pushed the rectum back in with the end of a glass eyedropper, pushing in the center of the inverted rectum until it slipped back inside the cloaca. It reoccurred 2 (maybe 3) additional times but whenever I checked on her and saw that the prolapse had reoccurred, I would immediately stop what I was doing and got it back in as quickly as possible. Key I think was the fact that I stopped feeding her for two weeks. A two week fast sounds extreme I know, but the female not having to push once her gut was cleared out is what I believe ultimately kept her from dying. The prolapse never reoccurred. The animals that were stitched couldn't pass what was in their guts so it may simply be that the vet closed the cloaca too much. When those two died, I found fecal material at the opening and it appeared they were "clogged up".

With a very heavy heart I am sad to say that Gizmo passed last night. I guess the vet and everything going on was just to much for him. I'm pretty tore up right now so I will wait to do a memorial thread. Thx for all the help and well wishes. I know this wont stop me from keeping Chams but there will always be a little something missing.
R.I.P Gizmo you were my best little blue friend ever :(

Hoj know how much you loved Gizmo. He and camo were your babies. I loved them both along with you. As with Camo, Gizmo will have a place in my heart. I am so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom