Project possibility

Jordan

I think this has the potential for a new cage for my jackson. The way it look now the top portion measure out at 18"x20"x32". The sides, top, bottom, and doors are all solid wood. The wire holder and middle shelf (above doors) is particle board with veaner over it. May remove middle shelf, wire holder and doors to make it a little better quality and size. Not sure yet. What do you guys think? If I do go at as is I already have a plan to cover the particle board completely so it does not get any water on it.

project.jpg

i have been goiung to osh latley...they have these cabinets that are 24x48x75..i may put a couple of cages in them...very fun to think of possibilities!

Jordan-
I like the look of that piece and think it would be a great idea, cant wait to see how it turns out. I have been looking around at our local antique & 2nd hand shops for a nice workable piece of furniture for our veiled... haven't found quite what I'm looking for yet.

Update us on how it goes please.

Beth

Jordan-
I like the look of that piece and think it would be a great idea, cant wait to see how it turns out. I have been looking around at our local antique & 2nd hand shops for a nice workable piece of furniture for our veiled... haven't found quite what I'm looking for yet.

Beth

I was driving down the road through my neighborhood the other day and saw where someone had left anold bookshelf out for the trashman to pick up. There was no back on the bookshelf, but as I looked at it, I realized that if you took a really nice bookshelf, cut a door in the side, and then covered some portions of the front with wire, you'd have a really nice cage. Especially if you put trim pieces on it. You could even cut holes into, and add screen to some of the shelves which would act as the top of the cage. And it would be adjustable, so you could have one big cage, or two little ones.

Now I just need to figure out where I can get some super cheap ones that won't fall apart.

Steve

Jordan-

Beth

My mother deals antiques. One thing I have seen pass through her hands time and time again that gives me ideas are "pie safes". These are usually good sized. They are also build with ventilation in mind. On the sides/doors they usually have something like chicken wire or sections of metal with holes punched in them. Both are very easily removable. The ones she gets are either to nice to tear up (kind of feel bad when they look that good) or they are just to pricey because of the size. People like to buy these a convert them to dish storage in dining rooms.

Another thing I like that I have seen are corner hutches. Used in dining rooms for storage of plates against a corner. Only came across one that was big enough for what I had in mind but $1200 for it. I like my chameleon but not quite that much. I have also seen pictures of one on line convert for a chameleon that was awesome. These would be hard to find good sized at an affordable price.

I am going to start this project later on this week. So I guess I see how this goes. I will start another thread with some pictures to show what I did and will probably need some input with a couple things.

I know you've all thought of this already, but I'll mention it anyway.
Be careful of lead based paints and varnishes on antique furniture. Very toxic, and chemically stripping it or even sanding it can raise the toxicity.
It might be less trouble to just build it or buy something newer that has a safer finish. Do you have Cost Plus? They regularly have furniture that I often think could turn into interesting and beautiful cham enclosures. They also put a 40% off coupon in the Sunday paper every once in awhile.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom