Progress up to now (pics)

awsome....so it can be a heat light and uvb bulb...sounds too good to be true....the key to this bulb is the amount of distance to the screen cage , correct?

Yes, and like Olimpia says, they are tested to Zoo standards, so you can be sure the distances indicated on the box are accurate. But you need a good sized cage, since you need some distance from the basking spot and the bulb.

John

Yes, and like Olimpia says, they are tested to Zoo standards, so you can be sure the distances indicated on the box are accurate. But you need a good sized cage, since you need some distance from the basking spot and the bulb.

John

how big of a cage we talkin about? lol

i have a 30 in Length X 18 in Depth X 36 in height....im guessing too small??

I think its too small, the height and wideness is important,. I designed the cage for that very purpose, i made it extra large so he can get away from the heat when he wishes.

The only real danger with these lamps is when the cage is too small, the chams is sorta trapped in its output, thats where the issues appear.

John

I think its too small, the height and wideness is important,. I designed the cage for that very purpose, i made it extra large so he can get away from the heat when he wishes.

The only real danger with these lamps is when the cage is too small, the chams is sorta trapped in its output, thats where the issues appear.

John

hmm so more appropriate for either free range or larger enclosures... makes sense, since Olimpia does a free range for her chams so thats why she is so excited:rolleyes:

well i guess i would use it for a larger enclosure for my future melleri:D, until then i guess im stuck with linear tubes :p

That looks great!!

Everywhere I've been (thats reputable!) have recommended a mercury vapour lamp. I'm currently saving up to get one, cos they aren't the cheapest things in the world!

The MV lamps from Mega Ray are great. BUT I strongly encourage a UVB meter or to strictly follow the instructions on the box. Meters are great to have, if you have the money, you should get one.

I don't think the Mega Ray will be the next big thing. They are around, and have been and still haven't taken over the market. They are a bit better suited for the desert animals people keep. They have expanded their selection a bit with the new lower output lamp, which is good. But as I said before, you should use a meter to set up a MV or MH lamp. You should also use a digital temp probe and a infrared temp gun.

Amanda, save up for a meter and do your research on which lamp to buy. MV lamps are not at all created equal between makers and even within the same maker. Mega Ray tests their lamps before shipping... this is why people like them so much, consistency.

Back
Top Bottom