Progress in health and trust building!

bbyoda

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've had Yoda for 7 months, so he's around 9-10 months old. About two months ago he went through coccidia and pinworm treatment and was moved to his adult enclosure.

Thanks to all the great advice from forum members, Yoda is looking much better and healthier than he did post parasite treatment. Getting a dehumidifier is helping with his sheds, fogging and periodic longer misting sessions have helped with hydration, and getting a solarmeter confirmed a suspicion that I had that a "new" UVB light I got from Amazon was no good.

I've also managed to build trust with him so that he'll now eat from my hand and climb on me for free range time. He still gets scared sometimes or puffs toward the end of free range time so I'm trying to go at his pace. I'm hoping we have a good enough rapport to have outdoor free range time one day.

PXL_20201017_163503805.jpg
PXL_20201017_163844549.jpg

Your trust building is going really well. I have found even with Beman who has always been extremely trusting with me that he will still puff and hiss. But the fact that he is climbing down to you really shows that trust level that you have built. So glad he is healthy. Looks really good too!.

Your trust building is going really well. I have found even with Beman who has always been extremely trusting with me that he will still puff and hiss. But the fact that he is climbing down to you really shows that trust level that you have built. So glad he is healthy. Looks really good too!.

Oh that's good to know about Beman! Probably just their way of communicating boundaries, letting us know we're going to fast or they don't want to be disturbed at that moment. I have great relationships with my cats but they still hiss when they are startled or want space. :)

Both you and @jamest0o0 have been very generous with your knowledge and encouragement. Thank you!!

Oh that's good to know about Beman! Probably just their way of communicating boundaries, letting us know we're going to fast or they don't want to be disturbed at that moment. I have great relationships with my cats but they still hiss when they are startled or want space. :)

Both you and @jamest0o0 have been very generous with your knowledge and encouragement. Thank you!!
Yeah it is them speaking in their own way. Telling you what they need and want. Beman gets very showy in his behavior when it comes to leaving the outside enclosure to go back inside. He is very clear about not wanting to go so he shows defensive postures and lets me know that he really is not having it. I move slower with him in those moments. It is always an amazing feeling when they come out to you on their own. :)

And your welcome. I am happy to help and encourage. ❤

You've been doing a great job. Can't wait to have a big grumpy veiled one day and be part of the club. My Parsons has literally never puffed or hissed at me and I have to handle him fairly often.

You've been doing a great job. Can't wait to have a big grumpy veiled one day and be part of the club. My Parsons has literally never puffed or hissed at me and I have to handle him fairly often.
If you ever get tired of docile and sweet we can trade... I have veiled level 9, level 3, and level 2... Pick your level and let me know how much aggression and hatred you want in your life :LOL:

If you ever get tired of docile and sweet we can trade... I have veiled level 9, level 3, and level 2... Pick your level and let me know how much aggression and hatred you want in your life :LOL:

Lmao. Well, idk if it's because he's just soooooo used to me being annoying around him. I can tell he doesn't prefer me, but he also doesn't care much either way. He won't walk on me willingly. Just looks at me as an inconvenience that hangs around him all day and occasionally bumps his tree, offers food, or places him in the shower.

Indifferent and aloof come to mind describing him. Oh and slow... if they like where they're at, they won't move more than a foot or two for weeks. I don't even need to block off his free range because he never leaves it.

Lmao. Well, idk if it's because he's just soooooo used to me being annoying around him. I can tell he doesn't prefer me, but he also doesn't care much either way. He won't walk on me willingly. Just looks at me as an inconvenience that hangs around him all day and occasionally bumps his tree, offers food, or places him in the shower.

Indifferent and aloof come to mind describing him. Oh and slow... if they like where they're at, they won't move more than a foot or two for weeks. I don't even need to block off his free range because he never leaves it.
So what your saying is he is the well behaved Golden Retriever of the cham world. That must make Veileds the Chihuahua's, nippy ankle biters that get into everything. :LOL:

Wow so he doesn't pace at all? Yoda goes up down and all around his cage, and will paw at the door when he wants to explore. At least twice a day he does that. How do Parsons find mates if they just hang tight in one spot?

Wow so he doesn't pace at all? Yoda goes up down and all around his cage, and will paw at the door when he wants to explore. At least twice a day he does that. How do Parsons find mates if they just hang tight in one spot?

Nope, not really. I know what you mean though because my Panthers were nuts and crawled all over their enclosures. Parsons seem to have seasonal shifts. Like he's fairly active in the summer outside.

I've had Yoda for 7 months, so he's around 9-10 months old. About two months ago he went through coccidia and pinworm treatment and was moved to his adult enclosure.

Thanks to all the great advice from forum members, Yoda is looking much better and healthier than he did post parasite treatment. Getting a dehumidifier is helping with his sheds, fogging and periodic longer misting sessions have helped with hydration, and getting a solarmeter confirmed a suspicion that I had that a "new" UVB light I got from Amazon was no good.

I've also managed to build trust with him so that he'll now eat from my hand and climb on me for free range time. He still gets scared sometimes or puffs toward the end of free range time so I'm trying to go at his pace. I'm hoping we have a good enough rapport to have outdoor free range time one day.

View attachment 280266
View attachment 280267

Drake is the same way, he loves to be in his outside enclosure but let's me know he doesn't want to come inside when it's time?

Back
Top Bottom