Problems with shedding, black scales.

Apparently, all he told me is that they were Protozoans, but I don't know the exact species of them.
I am cleaning the tank right now, and assuming that the Protozoans could develop in the wet soil (due to fogger working properly at the night, and not enough light coming to the bottom of the tank to dry it out)
I wanted to ask, what could I do to make the soil not overwetting with a fogger?
Perhaps just run the fogger for a few hours at night instead of the whole night. Making sure your ventilation/airflow is good will also help. You may want to run a small muffin type fan to suck air from the top to promote better flow.

Apparently, all he told me is that they were Protozoans, but I don't know the exact species of them.
I am cleaning the tank right now, and assuming that the Protozoans could develop in the wet soil (due to fogger working properly at the night, and not enough light coming to the bottom of the tank to dry it out)
I wanted to ask, what could I do to make the soil not overwetting with a fogger?
I'm a new Chameleon Parent. I have a ReptiBreeze 2x2x4. What has helped me with managing moisture is having live plants in the enclosure. The live plants catch the water and poop making cleanup easy. I also built a waterproof bottom tray (2inx 2inx 4in) covered by a drainage screen. I place pig mats in the bottom tray to manage drainage. The substrate is on top of the drainage tray. I also placed branches near the mister to soak up the water and also help with maintaining humidity. I added tree bark to the sides of the cage to perform the same duty as the branches.

I'm a new Chameleon Parent. I have a ReptiBreeze 2x2x4. What has helped me with managing moisture is having live plants in the enclosure. The live plants catch the water and poop making cleanup easy. I also built a waterproof bottom tray (2inx 2inx 4in) covered by a drainage screen. I place pig mats in the bottom tray to manage drainage. The substrate is on top of the drainage tray. I also placed branches near the mister to soak up the water and also help with maintaining humidity. I added tree bark to the sides of the cage to perform the same duty as the branches.
My fogger is used 8pm-7am. Make sure the fogger hose is as straight as possible to decrease the formation of water droplets. If the fogger hose takes a u shape water droplets form. Try placing the fogger closer to the top of your enclosure.

Fogger doesn't generate droplets by itself, my guess was just that the air was so humid, that the fog was turning into droplets during a cold nightime.
However though, the soil is changed to a brand new,clean one. I have a limited options of configuring the fogger.
That being said, I can vary the time fogger keeps creating the fog, and the distance between each "fogging time" by the time I was using it, the settings were: a hour of fogging, each one hour of non-fogging.
Giving it overall around 6 hours of fogging.

Going further. The Vet told me to give him 0,1 Ml of Calcium and 0,1 Ml of medicament for kidney daily, and to bath him for 20 minutes in warm herb water.
Additionally, i have bought a iodine, and put it on his black scales, with one being especially dangerous ( on his tail) which just looks like it began to rot (the tail is suddenly thinner in a narrow area, and nearly black, like the scales I mentioned before.
Of course, Jojo got a drip yesterday, to help him stand on his feet. However, since yesterday, he is weak all the time today, can't hold anything too hard (except for his jaws, giving him medicines is a hell since he never wants to open it so easily) and his eyes are mostly closed. Vet told me it is normal after a drip, and it's not something i should concern with in 48h after a drip.

Fogger doesn't generate droplets by itself, my guess was just that the air was so humid, that the fog was turning into droplets during a cold nightime.
However though, the soil is changed to a brand new,clean one. I have a limited options of configuring the fogger.
That being said, I can vary the time fogger keeps creating the fog, and the distance between each "fogging time" by the time I was using it, the settings were: a hour of fogging, each one hour of non-fogging.
Giving it overall around 6 hours of fogging.

Going further. The Vet told me to give him 0,1 Ml of Calcium and 0,1 Ml of medicament for kidney daily, and to bath him for 20 minutes in warm herb water.
Additionally, i have bought a iodine, and put it on his black scales, with one being especially dangerous ( on his tail) which just looks like it began to rot (the tail is suddenly thinner in a narrow area, and nearly black, like the scales I mentioned before.
Of course, Jojo got a drip yesterday, to help him stand on his feet. However, since yesterday, he is weak all the time today, can't hold anything too hard (except for his jaws, giving him medicines is a hell since he never wants to open it so easily) and his eyes are mostly closed. Vet told me it is normal after a drip, and it's not something i should concern with in 48h after a drip.
One thing to keep in mind is that chameleons are dry shedders - Many vets don't realize this and recommend baths/soaks. THe knowledgeable folks in the forum here NEVER recommend a soak - it can cause a lot of issues with shedding, and chameleons don't absorb water through their skin or cloaca like a lot of other lizards. I would strongly recommend you do NOT soak your cham.

At this point it's not even the matter of shed problems. Jojo is dying after medicaments propably killed too many of his parasites at once. Yesterday he was just weak, but managed to open his eyes sometimes or hiss. As I'm writing it, he doesn't even feel alive. No eyes open, no grip, even his lip falls down.... I gave him the medicaments and the water using a syringe directly into his mouth. He made a bit of a movement. But overall he looks like he just died...

In fact. Jojo has officially passed away due to his weakened organism couldn't resist the amount of medicines and died, propably even yesterday morning :(((
However it was confirmed in the vet's at 4 PM. There are various theories why did it happened that fast.
1.parasites coming from feeders that were able to wander around the room (sides of terrarium was made out of net that the feeders could go through and get infections from the floor.
2.Feeder that I've bought from a fishing shop (mealworms) at the time I couldn't provide any feeders from confirmed place, and didn't want to make him starving.
3.Poor breed. I acquired Jojo for around 50$ on a terrarist market, while most of the other Veiled babies prices were starting at 65$

It was a terrible feeling to observing him weaker with every hour :( I will make sure that his successor will not suffer the same due to my higher experience than year ago.

In fact. Jojo has officially passed away due to his weakened organism couldn't resist the amount of medicines and died, propably even yesterday morning :(((
However it was confirmed in the vet's at 4 PM. There are various theories why did it happened that fast.
1.parasites coming from feeders that were able to wander around the room (sides of terrarium was made out of net that the feeders could go through and get infections from the floor.
2.Feeder that I've bought from a fishing shop (mealworms) at the time I couldn't provide any feeders from confirmed place, and didn't want to make him starving.
3.Poor breed. I acquired Jojo for around 50$ on a terrarist market, while most of the other Veiled babies prices were starting at 65$

It was a terrible feeling to observing him weaker with every hour :( I will make sure that his successor will not suffer the same due to my higher experience than year ago.
Poor fella probably came to you with the parasites. And if there are a lot we normally give small amounts of medications
at a time, because if the organisms all die at once they create too many toxins. Be kind to yourself.

Back
Top Bottom