Problems With One Eye? Maybe Infected?

ColeCham333

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Ambanja Panther Chameleon, almost 9 months old, had him since February.
  • Handling - 5 times a week to move him from cage to free range and back, maybe take him outside.
  • Feeding - He feeds on crickets and superworms and repti-worms. He eats 6 superworms and 10 crickets every other day, and gets 5 reptiworms every day. Crickets and supers eat lettuce and carrots, reptiworms eat nothing bc they are refridgerated.
  • Supplements - Repti-calcium without d3 at every feeding, and I just got a multi-vitamin with d3 in it that I will give him twice a month.
  • Watering - I don't see him drink very often, but i have seen him drink before. he has a dripper that drips onto the leaves of his dracaena plant. I put a branch that goes right under it so it is very accessible.
  • Fecal Description - Never tested for parasites. His poop is perfect. Clean white urate, but has been wet due to some hornworms I got him.
  • History - Just finished a shed a few days ago. He still has some left on his toes. Bred by West Coast Chameleon brothers.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - XL reptibreeze
  • Lighting - 100 watt white basking light, 25 watt uvb spiral type bulb. Lights on 8 to 8
  • Temperature - Temps measured with digital thermometer. Basking ranges 88-95 depends on temp of room. Majority of cage is room temp about 70. NIght gets about 67.
  • Humidity - 60%. Have a thermometer for humidity.
  • Plants - Large pothos suspended from top, dracaena, and an umbrella plant.
  • Placement - Cage is in my room. It has an air vent on the wall next to it, but it is below the cage and shut. cage sits on a shelving unit that puts the top of the cage about 6 feet off the ground
  • Location - Metro Detroit area in Michigan. (United States)

Current Problem - Been noticing for the past couple weeks his left eye is often shut. His right eye is perfect, always looking around. On his left eye, it is often closed, and when it is open, the openeing in his eyelid isnt round. His right eye is open ina way that leaves a round opening for him to see, but his left is almost squinted. Tonight I saw in his left eye he has fluid in it. It makes him look like he is tearing up/ crying. It looks very similar to when humans get tears in their eyes. Thats the best thing i can compare it to. When I took him out to take pictures of his eye, his eye opened a bunch more but you could still tell it wasn't fully open. And I was just noticing a while ago that it might not move very much, but I also think i may just be overreacting and it isn't an issue. It doesn't impact his functions at all tho. He still climbs his free range great, he is very active in his cage, and i was testing his eating tonight when i had him shoot repti worms from a little over 12 inches from his face. Both eyes lock onto the food and he gets it first try, but He noticed it quicker when i put the food by his right side, where his good eye is. I hope someone can tell me what this issue is, and maybe how to fix it, because i would prefer not going to a vet. If it is something that does need to be seen by a vet tho, I am more than willing to ensure my buddy's health. The reason I kind of don't want to see a vet is because I am 15 years old and only work fall through spring, so i currently have no source of income, and about 200 dollars in my bank account. Ad of course my parents are making me pay for my own vet visits because they hate the chameleon hahaha. Also Sorry the pics arent great, i took them with an iphone. Thanks guys

Attachments

• IMG_4767.JPG
    IMG_4767.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4769.JPG
    IMG_4769.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 106
He's a very handsome boy! I would try changing the UVB light to a reptisun 5.0 tube style. You can also try extra long mistings to see if he has something in that eye that he could wash out. From what you are tell us it does sound like it might be an infection and he would need a vet, with chameleon experience for antibiotic eye drops and maybe and oral antibiotic.

He's a very handsome boy! I would try changing the UVB light to a reptisun 5.0 tube style. You can also try extra long mistings to see if he has something in that eye that he could wash out. From what you are tell us it does sound like it might be an infection and he would need a vet, with chameleon experience for antibiotic eye drops and maybe and oral antibiotic.

I will try some long mistings tomorrow but he usually runs away haha

Back
Top Bottom