problem with veiled

scooter4n

Established Member
I got him from Petco, on the cage it says 3-4 months old, but who knows...
He is having his first shedding now, and not eating much. before he was doing 10-12 cricks a day, not he's down to like 4, is that normal?
This is his 3rd day shedding, how can I help along with this process?? more moister? temperature?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 182
I got him from Petco, on the cage it says 3-4 months old, but who knows...
He is having his first shedding now, and not eating much. before he was doing 10-12 cricks a day, not he's down to like 4, is that normal?
This is his 3rd day shedding, how can I help along with this process?? more moister? temperature?

Thanks

extra misting wouldnt hurt! when some of my chameleons shed, they cut down on food also.

wow he looks ok to be from a petco, looks pritty healthy. once i saw on at a petsmart and man it was terrible. its eye was so swollen and had a terrible cage set up. no dripper, the temerature was in the high 100s over 105, and humidty was in the 20s. so yea it was terrible, and i told the manager and he said they were treating it, but it looked like it was going to die in the next few days, so thats why no one would recommend getting a chameleon from petco or petsmart, they just dont take care of it right. i guess you went to a nice one. well anyways mine used to be the same, he ate very less the first few weeks i had him, and now hes doing alot better. eating more, loves hiding in his tree, and basking in the light.

now new problem. and after reading all other posts about napping, my Rex started doing that too. Just right after he started shedding every time he's in the basking area he's got his eyes closed, and napping. Everything in the cage is the same, temps, UVB, food, and dusting, misting, but still naps, I don't know if it's just temporary thing or what.

Now I have a problem!!! now he walks around with eyes closed :(
Basking at 83-85C room temp 75
humidity around 40% and after spray 60%, sprays every 2 hours.
No problem visually, eyes are looking ok, he looks ok, colors and all.
the only thing is that he still got piece of skin after shedding on one of the eye, little piece of the dry skin, maybe that's is the problem?

Rex is about 5 months old now like 4" long

Last edited:
I wish, I did search around and can't find any reptile vets anywhere around. I'm going to stop by at Petco and see if they know anyone.
I'm in Portland OR in case someone knows some vets in the area.
Thanks

My female has gotten skin in her eye before. She worked it out on her own by rubbing on a branch. I did visibly see it. I would try a very long misting duration with hot water (in the mister). If it is something lodged in the eye this could help to free it. I am not sure on the time frame of the shed or the napping he has been doing?

I would think this is a sign of something more serious but just to try to rule out something less severe I would recommend this first. I have never actually heard of a chameleon walking around with both eyes shut. I have not watched his web cam in a week or so. He looked active and healthy then though.

I don't live in the States so I don't know how far any of these are from you but here's a list of vets in Oregon...
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/oregon.html
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/cantfind.html

I have seen chameleons doing this (walking around with their eyes shut) and heard of it too...it can be that both eyes are infected, but its usually something more serious...especially if they are walking around on the floor of the cage.

I hope you can find a vet asap.

I wish, I did search around and can't find any reptile vets anywhere around. I'm going to stop by at Petco and see if they know anyone.
I'm in Portland OR in case someone knows some vets in the area.
There is at least one veterinarian listed for Portland in the following link: http://arav.org/Members/OR.htm

Now I have a problem!!! now he walks around with eyes closed :(
Basking at 83-85C room temp 75
humidity around 40% and after spray 60%, sprays every 2 hours.
No problem visually, eyes are looking ok, he looks ok, colors and all.
the only thing is that he still got piece of skin after shedding on one of the eye, little piece of the dry skin, maybe that's is the problem?

Rex is about 5 months old now like 4" long
Why are the basking temps so low? Do you see him drinking? All the veileds I have had at that age shed very quickly (hours not days). Seeking the help of a qualified veterinarian would probably be a good idea. I also recommend posting more details of your setup and husbandry practices: [THREAD=66]what to include when asking for help[/THREAD].

I had my temps high before and he was hanging with mouth open from overheating, so after cranking tems down he;s not opening mouth all day anymore. Yes I see him drinking when spraying him. So I know that he gets his water, I'll crank temps up a little more, he is still young, so say mid 80's are ok?

actually after lots and lots of misting he gets better, not sleeping anymore, sometimes one eye closed, but more awake and active, chasing drips of water, but still not eating, for the 2nd day now.
hope will get better tomorrow after today's awakening.
temps at basking are 86 lower cage 75, humidity 35 at the top and about 55% at the mid cage, I have ficus plant in the "cage". Cup feeding dusted crickets, wax, and meal worms. 5.0UVB light at about 10" from the basking spot. Auto misting every 1.5 hours for 15 sec at the time, dripping all morning and after noon, and hand spray after work few times. Setup seems very normal. home that was just shedding with some dry skin cut in the eye.

Back
Top Bottom