problem keeping humidity

stinax182

i have a 6 month old male veiled chameleon who i keep in a 40 gallon bow tank. i originally built him a 3't-2'w-2'l fully screened enclosure, all decked out with vines and hiding places and perches, but he was so small and feeding him was much too difficult. so i switched him to an aquarium. the top is hardwire cloth. i have some fake moss substrate with a foam backing kind of, which i soak daily, a rock in the corner i fill with water daily and i spray him....basically as many times as possible, maybe 6 times a day for 2 minutes. but i find i am still having trouble keeping humidity up. oh, and i recently got a medium exoterra waterfall and fogger and put it in his cage, hoping that will help. (just got it today)

i have a 6 month old male veiled chameleon who i keep in a 40 gallon bow tank. i originally built him a 3't-2'w-2'l fully screened enclosure, all decked out with vines and hiding places and perches, but he was so small and feeding him was much too difficult. so i switched him to an aquarium. the top is hardwire cloth. i have some fake moss substrate with a foam backing kind of, which i soak daily, a rock in the corner i fill with water daily and i spray him....basically as many times as possible, maybe 6 times a day for 2 minutes. but i find i am still having trouble keeping humidity up. oh, and i recently got a medium exoterra waterfall and fogger and put it in his cage, hoping that will help. (just got it today)

to start this off take the waterfall back its a waste of time for chameleons keep the fogger they work well if you put it on a timer so it goes off many times a day for like 5 plus minutes. also take him out of the glass tank and out him screen enclosure and dont use any substraight cause he may get interested in it and try to eat it then you will have more problems to keep humidity in the enclosure get a misting system from mist king and put lots of live plants in it. There is a safe plant list on this fourm so you know what safe plants to provide him. If you put live plants and a misting system you should not have any or little problems with humditiy in your tanks

Sorry to bother you I see you have a humidity problem. I as well suggest using a missing system with a timer, when I had a panther it was easy to keep humidity with one I moved into an apartment not allowing pets I have a misting system with timer and 49 nozzles available if you are interested. Works great I just can't have pets but a cat now.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/showthread.php?t=92229

F/S Promist PMP-70 / 49 nozzles / Tons of hose / Mistking Timer

Send me a private message we can arrange a price if you are interested.

Welcome to the fourm!! You can also wrap the sides of the screen cage with plastic like a shower curtain cut to size to help hold the humidity in.

That idea above my comment is a good idea just might cause a little splash effect in the enclosure as well with water. But should be fine.

how well does saran wrap hold humidity? thats what i have right now to keep my walls from getting wet. sorry for bumping an oldish thread.

As long as you can create a good thermal gradient feel free to use the tank. But I'd only recommend it if you're going to put live plants in. Mist a few times daily for short lengths of time, you don't want to saturate it.

I've always shied away from humidifiers due to potential of mold etc. growing inside the humidifier itself.

I know a lot of people shy away from glass, but it offers high humidity and stable temps. You just have to make sure you have air circulation.

Back
Top Bottom