Problem keeping humidity levels in cage.

RAFASTAR23

HERE IS MY PROBLEM. I HAVE AN ALL ALUMINUM CAGE 16x16x30 (REPTIBREEZE, BLACK). I HAVE A EXO-TERRA MONSOON RS400 (MISTING SYSTEM) RUNNING 90 SECONDS AVERY 6 HRS. THE CAGE IS FURNISHED WITH LIVE FICUS BENJAMINA TREE, PLUS VINES, AND THE SUBSTRATE IS COCONUT BARK. THE DIGITAL HYGROMETER READS 35% HUMIDITY AND PEAKS AT 54% AFTER MISTING. THE LEAVES OF THE TREE STAY WET FOR QUITE SOME TIME AFTER MISTING. THE SUBSTRATE IS SOAKING WITH WATER. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO RAISE THE HUMIDITY LEVELS IN THIS CAGE?:confused:
PLEASE HELP!

I am having a similar issue. I however dont have a substrate on the bottom. I just bought a humidifier in which i have hooked a hose to and goes into each of my cages. I recently put shower curtains around 3 of the sides. You may want to try that. Mine stays around 55. But not sure how to push it just that little bit higher.

ive heard alot of people will cover 3/4 of the cage with a shower curtain to help hold the humidity u could try it :)

Yep, shower curtain or clear paint tarp (really cheap). Humidifier would probably do wonders, especially if you hooked it directly to the cage like Ekproject mentioned. That's a great idea.

Where are you located? I'm in the chicago area, and keeping the humidity up is a big task this time of year.

#1 - All caps, no bueno on the eyeballs.

#2 - What kind of Cham?

#3 -I've heard some people will cover a side or two with plastic wrap etc to "hold" in the humidity while still allowing some ventilation.

#4 - Can you schedule your misting system to go off more often but for less time?

btw, if your plants start dying from soggyness(sp?) repot them with half sand

yeah im in ny and with the furnace runing every 5 minutes its definately a challenge. we set up 2 humidifiers 1 in the "lizardroom" and one in our living area but even with it i cant get it over 40% unless just misted lol

Well, there are some easy things you can do.

1: Spray more often, maybe for less time. Say every three hours, for 30-45 seconds. This way they get water more often.
2: Put a dripper on their cage. This won't help the overall humidity, but will allow for drinking when leaves dry up.

What species are you housing? This will really help with how easily it can be fixed. Also, how warm are you keeping them? Keeping them too warm will dry out the enclosure faster than if housed at the correct temperature.

Yep, shower curtain or clear paint tarp (really cheap). Humidifier would probably do wonders, especially if you hooked it directly to the cage like Ekproject mentioned. That's a great idea.

Where are you located? I'm in the chicago area, and keeping the humidity up is a big task this time of year.

Thankyou. I can take a pic and post it to give u an idea of what i did. But basically its a "personal" humidifier so it has a small spout. Got some hose and poked holes throughout it an plugged the other end. It goes across 2 cages. It bumped my humidty up a fair amount.

HERE IS MY PROBLEM. I HAVE AN ALL ALUMINUM CAGE 16x16x30 (REPTIBREEZE, BLACK). I HAVE A EXO-TERRA MONSOON RS400 (MISTING SYSTEM) RUNNING 90 SECONDS AVERY 6 HRS. THE CAGE IS FURNISHED WITH LIVE FICUS BENJAMINA TREE, PLUS VINES, AND THE SUBSTRATE IS COCONUT BARK. THE DIGITAL HYGROMETER READS 35% HUMIDITY AND PEAKS AT 54% AFTER MISTING. THE LEAVES OF THE TREE STAY WET FOR QUITE SOME TIME AFTER MISTING. THE SUBSTRATE IS SOAKING WITH WATER. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO RAISE THE HUMIDITY LEVELS IN THIS CAGE?:confused:
PLEASE HELP!

Been there man, i could not get it over 30 cause i heat ALOT, my solution was a 50$ ultrasonic mister running 24/7 next to the cage, i get a solid 50-54% and more when i mist.

The species housed is a Jackson's chameleon (3 months old).

I have another cage in the same room, with the same specs, and abvously the same problem. it will house a 4month old ambilobe panther chameleon that just arrived.

I'm in San Diego too and it is extremely dry here right now. Is your plant in a terracotta pot? If not, maybe re-pot it. The clay will help keep the plant from getting soggy and will wick moisture into the air.

I've had my Veiled chameleon over a year in an Exo Terra Terrarium 24" x 18" x 18". It keeps the humidity in well and it allows for air flow. If everyone is talking about covering 3 sides of the screen cage what would be the difference? I haven't had any problems with my set up, and I use a humidifier.

I'm in San Diego too and it is extremely dry here right now. Is your plant in a terracotta pot? If not, maybe re-pot it. The clay will help keep the plant from getting soggy and will wick moisture into the air.

Yes San Diego is dry right now,....it sucks for my chams. Thank you for the advise on the plant pot!:)

Don't stress to bad..

I have a battle with humidity, due to living in Oklahoma. I house a nosy faly panther currently in a 18 by 18 by 36 inch habitat with a reptifogger. I was so worried about humidity being at 40-60% most of the time even with misting and fogging every 30 minutes after misting. FYI, using nice warm water helps worth humidity and chameleons like bei misted directly with it as well. After struggling with humidity for a while I read a few books about captive chameleons, they say that as long as a chameleon is always properly hydrated 40-60% humidity is acceptable and it even lowers the ability for bacteria to form and spread at these lower levels. Of course the more the better, but don't stress to hard about the humidity.

Good luck with you crazy eyed little friends.

Back
Top Bottom