prob with my veiled

iceman214

ive not had mine three weeks yet but ive not seen him shed i just wanted to make sure everything is ok and is there anyway i can tell how old he is as i got him from a friend and he aint got a clue either hes about 5 inchs long from the front of his head to the tip of his tale so has anybody got any ideas i know hes young bout not sure how young

Last edited:
Can you show us a picture?
First shed will happen at approx. 8 weeks old.
Sounds like he might be about that age.
It's really hard to be specific as they don't all grow at exactly the same rate.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, just make sure he has lots to eat and drink and that you mist the enclosure often. Good humidity is key to successful shedding.

-Brad

Howdy Iceman,

I don't if you already knew this, but you veiled appears to have a case of MBD (metabolic bone disease) and you'll want to visit a reptile vet to get a full diagnosis and treatment plan. First thing is to check your UVB light. Make sure that there isn't any plastic or glass between the tube and your critter. What kind are you using? Post photos of your setup and lots of details of your feeding schedule and supplements.

The reason that I suspect MBD is that his left leg is showing the classic symptom of a double-bend due to either soft bones or broken bones or both.

I'll stop here and let you post more info.

I'd suggest that you start a new thread in the Health department and post the photo again.

Last edited:
that pic was taken the same week i got him and my friend was feeding him crickets and mealworm but i dont think he had been fed for a few weeks as when i fed him he ate loads i have sent off for some calcium power to coat the crikets in witch i know helps with bones but he seems to be getting about ok and hes very active

ok this is my setup i got with him the light in it is a repti-glo 5.0 uvb from exo terra its 2 ft tube
this was taken 5 mins ago after he had a misting

ive been pointed into this area as a guys told me a may have a prob with my veiled heres a pic of the little fella can somone have a look and tell me what they think

Howdy Iceman,

I don't if you already knew this, but you veiled appears to have a case of MBD (metabolic bone disease) and you'll want to visit a reptile vet to get a full diagnosis and treatment plan. First thing is to check your UVB light. Make sure that there isn't any plastic or glass between the tube and your critter. What kind are you using? Post photos of your setup and lots of details of your feeding schedule and supplements.

The reason that I suspect MBD is that his left leg is showing the classic symptom of a double-bend due to either soft bones or broken bones or both.

I'll stop here and let you post more info.

I'd suggest that you start a new thread in the Health department and post the photo again.

that pic was taken the same week i got him and my friend was feeding him crickets and mealworm but i dont think he had been fed for a few weeks as when i fed him he ate loads i have sent off for some calcium power to coat the crikets in witch i know helps with bones but he seems to be getting about ok and hes very active

ok this is my setup i got with him the light in it is a repti-glo 5.0 uvb from exo terra its 2 ft tube
this was taken 5 mins ago after he had a misting

Howdy,

If he hasn't been getting any calcium with D3 then that is probably your biggest source of the MBD problem. Your UVB tube is probably over 6 months old too. Replace your old tube with a Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 available at your reptile supply store. Otherwise get another ReptiGlo 5.0 as a second choice.

Aside from the fact that there are a lot of opinions about that style of enclosure (mostly solid sides etc.) what ventilation does it have? The photos don't show the ventilation. Is the tube mounted inside?

The temperature reading is over 100F. That's probably way too high especially if there are not temp gradients down to around 70F.

You'll need to sit down and read through all of the husbandry info on these sites to fill-in the knowledge gaps.

Read through:

http://www.chameleonsdish.com/

http://www.chameleonnews.com/ especially http://www.chameleonnews.com/ref.html

http://www.adcham.com/

Last edited:
Hello iceman,

Your chameleon's front foot is broken, and it needs the help of a veterinarian as soon as possible. It looks like your chameleon may have mbd. The link below might help in finding a veterinarian.

veterinarian resources

My chameleon is going through the same thing. Looks like your chams front and back legs are bowed. He also has a spinal deformity. My guy has that too. It is most likely MBD. You need to take him to a vet and then probably start giving him liquid calcium. You can buy it at a store that specializes in reptiles for around $5--$10. Good luck.

well . reading these posts and seeing some of these chameleons makes me feeel better about how Snipe is doing health wise.. i dont think he has a problem . healthy as a horse...

only thing that i am kinda concerned about is the humidity... it drops low somewhat...

usually sits at around 30

after a good misting goes up to about 50

what is a good way to get the humidity up? a waterfall in the enclousure? anything cheaper? i dont have a humidifier kicking around unfortunately

Demistify :D

Thats quite low... I'm gonna try leaving water in the bottom of mines enclosure (not for him to drink) to increase the humidity in the enclosure. I think the water coupled with the basking lamp should increase the average humidity quite nicely...

After a good misting my humidity goes up to 80...

Back
Top Bottom