Privet Hawk

Ricardo

Hi there!

Do you think that this worm Privet Hawk- Sphinx ligustri can be a food for cham? Just asking because i can't order hornworms here, but these are maybe avalible, and the 2 worms are in the same familia (Sphingidae). What do u think about it?
Ty for reading!:)

Ricardo

caterpillar ok - privet not

Hi Ricardo,

If the caterpillar is feeding solely on privet then I would be cautious. Privet contains glycosides that can be an irritant to the stomach of animals. An occasional one may not be a problem. But they feed on a variety of other plants in the same family (Olive) which are harmless such as Lilac, Ash as well as some Spireas & Viburnums. There are some minor host plants, too. So if you are interested in rearing your own it would take little doing to get to know your local plant availability (pesticide free of course) to get some stock going. Other than the privet issue they would be fine to feed your cham as caterpillars or adults. Here is a link for you with much info and more host plants listed, too. Sphinx ligustri

lele

Hi Ricardo,

If the caterpillar is feeding solely on privet then I would be cautious. Privet contains glycosides that can be an irritant to the stomach of animals. An occasional one may not be a problem. But they feed on a variety of other plants in the same family (Olive) which are harmless such as Lilac, Ash as well as some Spireas & Viburnums. There are some minor host plants, too. So if you are interested in rearing your own it would take little doing to get to know your local plant availability (pesticide free of course) to get some stock going. Other than the privet issue they would be fine to feed your cham as caterpillars or adults. Here is a link for you with much info and more host plants listed, too. Sphinx ligustri

lele
Lele that was impressive check out your big brain on bugs!:D

I love bugs and they love me! :p haha! Moths are sort of a "specialty" of mine, I've been rearing them for over a decade - quite fascinating creatures.

I love bugs and they love me! :p haha! Moths are sort of a "specialty" of mine, I've been rearing them for over a decade - quite fascinating creatures.

i love moths too. unfortunately, my sister is deathly terrified of them. cant wait to bug her (no punn intended) with silkworms when i get them! :p:p

Back
Top Bottom