Preying Mantis

CharlieCharmingo

Avid Member
Hi guys, I was amazon and I saw that you can buy preying mantis eggs. I was thinking about getting some for my beardies and the good boy Tony and wanted to know if anyone has ever bought some as eggs and what's the care like? And once hatched how big of an enclosure do they need? AND what should I start off feeding them? Etc.

I just had my ooth hatch about 2 days ago,
I had to rush out to get fruit flies for food.
A bunch have died already for some reason
But I plan on separating them within the next day or so into separate containers.
I must have about 100

Attachments

• IMG_3923.JPG
    IMG_3923.JPG
    413.7 KB · Views: 165
I just had my ooth hatch about 2 days ago,
I had to rush out to get fruit flies for food.
A bunch have died already for some reason
But I plan on separating them within the next day or so into separate containers.
I must have about 100

How long did it take them to hatch from when you got them? Also are you separating them into one container each/how big of a container are you thinking?

I got it back in I belive March sometime from an order from nick.
I put it in the fridge to keep them from hatching (diapause). From taking them out of the fridge until hatching was about 3 weeks. I kept them next to my chameleons heat lamp. 80 degreees is ideal to get things going.

I separated 8 individuals into small placon containers ( 16oz) last night with some string they can climb and hang down from when they molt. We'll see how they do.
I plan on keeping these as pets and possibly to breed( I have no idea what's male or female lol ).

I would highly suggest having a massive amount of fruit flies available for their consumption. I purchased a bag of 100 on Friday and there all gone already.
I belive I lost a bunch to canibalism already.

This is my first ooth and learning as I go so,
I'll try and document the process as I go.

yeah they are pretty awesome. even being the pin head size currently.

hopefully i can get a few more containers and save a few more.

i assume there not an invasive species? if i can get a few full grown i was thinking of releasing a few in my back yard.

Mantids aren't food! mantids are pets!

I bought some griffin mantids and ghost mantids to breed as food for my chameleon but they are just to cute!

Lol sorry for you but, mantis, chicken, humans, chameleon, rat, fruit fly, cricket are.. food.. food for different animal :p
but.. i agree they look more like a pet and they act like tiny smart creature!

Anyway ;) too keep your mantis you should provide enclosure like 18x18x18 or 18x18x24 planted install the egg, put one fruit fly culture (open inside the enclosure) mist 1 time every 2-3 day and you should have your feeder.
its possible too use the mantis for your garden or to sold as a pet! ;)

Mantids aren't food! mantids are pets!

I bought some griffin mantids and ghost mantids to breed as food for my chameleon but they are just to cute!

Oh no! I've received the wrath of remkon! So what you're telling me is that you've kept them all as pets? There wasn't say five to ten that your chameleon with his little traveling eyes didn't "puppy dog" you into accidentally putting some into his or her cage while your beardies (when I say you I actually am using myself in the scenario) look at you with the same "accidentally put some in my cage too mom" look? Are you telling me you were stronger than those looks? Lol. And if so TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!

Oh no! I've received the wrath of remkon! So what you're telling me is that you've kept them all as pets? There wasn't say five to ten that your chameleon with his little traveling eyes didn't "puppy dog" you into accidentally putting some into his or her cage while your beardies (when I say you I actually am using myself in the scenario) look at you with the same "accidentally put some in my cage too mom" look? Are you telling me you were stronger than those looks? Lol. And if so TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!
I have no offspring yet as I bought em very young. I plan to build a shed for my chams and bugs so there should be plenty of room to keep a lot of matids too.

You need to separate the nymphs in individual enclosures for individual insects. They will eat each other no matter how well they are fed unless you got one of the few communal species that exist.

Ok update time:

I lost pretty much all of them in the main tub.
These guys eat like no tomorrow on fruit flies! Highly suggested to have several cultures on hand!
I did not , so between canabslism and whatever dident end well for them.

So far I've been threw 4 cultures.
The 8 I've seperated seem to be doing well, and some have even had there first molt!

I've got three full fruit fly cultures to hopefully keep these guys going!

Baby praying mantids will only eat flying insects. It's as they get older that you can feed things like young crickets and certain roach species.

Yeah I had a culture to start but they ran threw the entire thing within 2 days,
My work schedule prevented me from getting any more quickly and shipping some woulda been longer so.

Learning experience!

So I've been left with 3 left living and thriving mantids, 2 makes and a female from the looks.

Def a long process!

Charlie,

I have a care sheet on my website, fullthrottlefeeders.com, as well as Chinese mantis ooths and a hatching container. The Chinese Mantis is allowed to be released in the US except for Hawaii. Most Chinese ooths hatched for chameleons are fed off immediately upon hatching to baby chameleons.

CHEERS!

Nick

Back
Top Bottom