Prevent cham from eating parts of enclosure?

agdrac8

Hello,

I've started noticing that one of my chams (my 7-8 mos nosy mitsio panther) sometimes tries to eat parts of his enclosure. I've watched a lot of videos of nosy mitsios and I've seen this behavior in multiple of them. I'm not really sure what causes it. But other than that odd behavior he's perfectly healthy (diet, shed, hydration, stool, etc.).

The only aspect of his enclosure that is a problem now is his feeding dish. We use something like this https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Magneti...0445828&sr=1-2&keywords=magnetic+feeding+dish

It's not that exact one but it's basically styrofoam and is magnetically attached. Sometimes he'll try and chew on it and I've noticed little bits of it have come off. Obviously I'm super worried now because I know this isn't good for him. I would remove it but unfortunately he's pretty trained to eat from it and I'm not always home when he gets hungry. I'm thinking I could spray something on it or coat it in something...but I'm really not sure. Any suggestions? Most times I am able to watch him but I just hate the idea of something happening when I'm at work or him keeping up this habit. Thank you!

I think that is pretty typical behavior of panthers his age. I would swap out the feeding dish with something tougher that looks similar that you can put in the same place. If he bites off more than he can pass you could have real trouble.

I think that is pretty typical behavior of panthers his age. I would swap out the feeding dish with something tougher that looks similar that you can put in the same place. If he bites off more than he can pass you could have real trouble.

Oh good to know it's typical! Thank you! So far it hasn't been any significant amount I just don't want to wait now that I've noticed this. I'll try and find a different feeding dish. I looked around for a while and the one I have is the perfect size for a perch as well but I'll keep looking around. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom