Pretty quadricornis boy

Awesome

I was buggin Laurie this winter for one of those bad boys and I didn't think I was gonna get one
So I got a sick crazy eyed Cham although he has not arrived yet due to cold weather and wouldn't u know it Laurie tells me she has a male for me OMG my heart sank and then I said wat the hell
There's always next year rite !!!
Your guy looks amazing horns and fins they are so cool take care of him good luck bro
TIMMY

Hey Kevin,

I just talked to Laurie and she told me about this post. Those horns are amazing! I've seen 6 horned T. q. quadricornis before (even though more than 4 horns is usually thought to be more associated with T. q. gracilior than T. q. quadricornis; I've even had a 5-horned male of the nominate subspecies), but I've never seen the horns arranged that way. The six horned individuals I've seen have 3 pairs (2, 2, and 2, larger to smaller going back). Four horns all in the second row is a new sight for me. Thanks for posting.

Also, he looks relatively calm in the photo. I remember when I sent him to you he was one of the more shy ones from his clutch. Out of curiosity, do you have a weight on him? The 2 attached photos of him were taken when he was only 13 grams at 13 months old. I had to put my hand behind him in order to take pictures because he wanted to hide behind the branch. :) At the end of April to beginning of May, he'll be 2 years old. I'll have to post some photos of one of his brothers from the same clutch. I haven't posted one of him since he's become an adult. He only has 4 horns but is really nice nonetheless.

Also, I'm curious if anyone else out there has any photos of quad horns arranged in that manner (2 horns in the 1st row and 4 horns in the second row). My avatar is a photo of a 5-horned male I used to have (that male is no relation to Kevin's quad) and he too is the only one I've seen like that.

Attachments

• 13 gram male 2.jpg
    13 gram male 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 146
  • 13 gram male.jpg
    13 gram male.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 155
Hey Kevin,

I just talked to Laurie and she told me about this post. Those horns are amazing! I've seen 6 horned T. q. quadricornis before (even though more than 4 horns is usually thought to be more associated with T. q. gracilior than T. q. quadricornis; I've even had a 5-horned male of the nominate subspecies), but I've never seen the horns arranged that way. The six horned individuals I've seen have 3 pairs (2, 2, and 2, larger to smaller going back). Four horns all in the second row is a new sight for me. Thanks for posting.

Also, he looks relatively calm in the photo. I remember when I sent him to you he was one of the more shy ones from his clutch. Out of curiosity, do you have a weight on him? The 2 attached photos of him were taken when he was only 13 grams at 13 months old. I had to put my hand behind him in order to take pictures because he wanted to hide behind the branch. :) At the end of April to beginning of May, he'll be 2 years old. I'll have to post some photos of one of his brothers from the same clutch. I haven't posted one of him since he's become an adult. He only has 4 horns but is really nice nonetheless.

Also, I'm curious if anyone else out there has any photos of quad horns arranged in that manner (2 horns in the 1st row and 4 horns in the second row). My avatar is a photo of a 5-horned male I used to have (that male is no relation to Kevin's quad) and he too is the only one I've seen like that.

Perry did you make a mistake? You said 13 grams at 13 months old? I thought my girl, Kevin, looks a bit small at 13 grams and she is 6 1/2 months old. Maybe I expect to much.

Ok so now I'm confused (not the first time), Kevins pictured Quad is 2 years
old?
How could you go wrong? Gular crest, horns, sail on the tail, and pastel blue
back, absolutely beautiful.

Hey Perry,

I think Bill's has 5 or 6 horns.

He has calmed down a lot in the last few months. He has always been very wild and when I received him from you would dive out of my hands any chance he could get and roll into a ball, rolling across the ground.

I'd love to see pics of his brother :) I'll weigh him later today.

Forgot to add a pic of another 6 horned Quad

That's the gracilior subspecies (yellow head). Six horns (even more sometimes) are supposed to be more common in that subspecies than in the nominate form. Also, that is the more normal horn arrangement of a quad with 6 horns. Kevin's male (having 2 horns in the first row and 4 horns in the second row) is unlike any other I have ever seen. Still curious is anyone out there (maybe in CA or FL??) who has seen greater numbers of freshly imported quads than I have (I've really only seen a relatively small sample)might have photos of quads with unusual horn arrangements that they'd like to share.

Perry

Perry did you make a mistake? You said 13 grams at 13 months old? I thought my girl, Kevin, looks a bit small at 13 grams and she is 6 1/2 months old. Maybe I expect to much.

Not a mistake Laurie. I have a photo of his brother (the adult male I have now) that was taken the same day (at 13 months old). At that age he weighed 24 grams (11 grams more than Kevin's quad was at that time).

Perry

I saw a quad for sale at the pet store near my house...499.99 Cdn. Is that a reasonable price for this species?

I saw a quad for sale at the pet store near my house...499.99 Cdn. Is that a reasonable price for this species?

I couldn't afford that! :eek: But then again, adult quads seem few and far between at the moment. They haven't come into the U.S. for quite some time, but I'm not sure when any exports might have gone out to other countries. Also, I don't know what the yearly quota on quads might have been or might be in the coming years but that will certainly be one factor in determining what various sellers might ask.

That's the gracilior subspecies (yellow head). Six horns (even more sometimes) are supposed to be more common in that subspecies than in the nominate form. Also, that is the more normal horn arrangement of a quad with 6 horns. Kevin's male (having 2 horns in the first row and 4 horns in the second row) is unlike any other I have ever seen. Still curious is anyone out there (maybe in CA or FL??) who has seen greater numbers of freshly imported quads than I have (I've really only seen a relatively small sample)might have photos of quads with unusual horn arrangements that they'd like to share.

Perry

I have seen 3 8-horned quads in the late 90's.

Nick

Perry-he is 65 grams :)

Well, he has surpassed his brother! His brother now weighs 43 grams. Attached are a couple of photos taken today. I've seen this guy display to the female he's housed with on multiple occasions, but I haven't witnessed any breeding yet.

Funny, but the first time I introduced him to the WC female he's housed with (none of my CH females from the other bloodline are large enough to breed yet), he displayed like crazy but as he approached her (she was showing every sign of being receptive; she didn't rock or turn dark at all), he just passed her. Interesting because every other time I've seen such a situation with quads, the male will go ahead and mate with the female but in this instance, he just marched on by. :confused:

Perry

Attachments

• 23 month old quad.jpg
    23 month old quad.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 23 month old quad 2.jpg
    23 month old quad 2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 166
Kevin,

Would you mind trying to get a total length on him? I'd like to compare him to his brother. Thanks

Hey Perry,
Do you know what percent of the imported Quads were nominate vs gracilior
back when they were coming in regularly? I included another pic that looks
more like Kevin's but still has a lot of yellow (sorry about the focus).

Back
Top Bottom