Prepping to get my first chameleon

Says 3 to 4 months on the site
Mealworms might still be fine, but not for much longer. Wax worms as treats only or to fatten up a cham. You can get small superworms. Hornworms, butterworms, silkworms, multiple types of roaches, and bsfl, along with crickets and mealworms/superworms (mealworms for babies, superworms as occasional variety), all appropriately sized of course, are great feeders for your cham!

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to decide on which feeders to buy to start out with, dubia's can live for a long time right? Should I get 100 x 3/8" or 50 x 3/8" x 50 1/2". I will probably get a tub of meal worms and wax worms from petsmart. Or should I buy 200?

Is there a site that sells a mixture of everything (roaches, mealies, wax worms, butter worms, etc)?

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to decide on which feeders to buy to start out with, dubia's can live for a long time right? Should I get 100 x 3/8" or 50 x 3/8" x 50 1/2". I will probably get a tub of meal worms and wax worms from petsmart. Or should I buy 200?

Is there a site that sells a mixture of everything (roaches, mealies, wax worms, butter worms, etc)?
Rainbowmealworms.net and dubia roaches sell a lot of variety. Mulberry farms sells a lot but their shipping costs are killer! The amount of roaches depends, you cham could hate dubias, like one of mine. Start small and then buy more as you get a feel for feeders and your cham. If you have one cham, you don’t need an entire breeding colony of feeders

Umbrella plant came in today and it looks great. I need to wash the leaves and repot/replace the soil tonight. The cham arrives tomorrow and feeders on Saturday.

Going with the below misting & light schedule. I found that my leaves are dry after appox. 1 hour after misting.

Lights on 11am
Mist 1 - 11:30am - 2 mins -- Thought here is to allow the cham to get a little warmth before getting misted, good idea?
Mist 2 - 1:00pm - 2 mins
Mist 3 - 3:00pm - 2 mins
Mist 4 - 5:00pm - 2 mins
Mist 5 - 7:00pm - 2 mins
Mist 6 - 8:00 pm - 2 mins
Lights out 11pm

IMG_20181025_122112.jpg

Umbrella plant came in today and it looks great. I need to wash the leaves and repot/replace the soil tonight. The cham arrives tomorrow and feeders on Saturday.

Going with the below misting & light schedule. I found that my leaves are dry after appox. 1 hour after misting.

Lights on 11am
Mist 1 - 11:30am - 2 mins -- Thought here is to allow the cham to get a little warmth before getting misted, good idea?
Mist 2 - 1:00pm - 2 mins
Mist 3 - 3:00pm - 2 mins
Mist 4 - 5:00pm - 2 mins
Mist 5 - 7:00pm - 2 mins
Mist 6 - 8:00 pm - 2 mins
Lights out 11pm

View attachment 216377
Make sure you pick up some feeders from the pet store and gutload them before your cham comes in so there’s something to offer him when he comes in and until the feeders you ordered are gutloaded

Make sure you pick up some feeders from the pet store and gutload them before your cham comes in so there’s something to offer him when he comes in and until the feeders you ordered are gutloaded
Good call, I was going to hold off assuming he'd be too stressed to eat on the first day but yeah I should offer him some food at least. I will scoop up some crickets and gut load with bug burger tonight.

With small crickets I cannot imagine them not jumping all over the place. Maybe I should go meal worm/

Good call, I was going to hold off assuming he'd be too stressed to eat on the first day but yeah I should offer him some food at least. I will scoop up some crickets and gut load with bug burger tonight.

With small crickets I cannot imagine them not jumping all over the place. Maybe I should go meal worm/
Try hornworms or superworms instead of mealworms, though roaches, crickets, or silkworms would be best

Try hornworms or superworms instead of mealworms, though roaches, crickets, or silkworms would be best
All of the superworms I've ever seen at Petsmart are gigantic, I used to feed them to my leopard geckos. I do not think they carry anything but mealworms, superworms, waxworms, and crickets, but I will ask.

All of the superworms I've ever seen at Petsmart are gigantic, I used to feed them to my leopard geckos. I do not think they carry anything but mealworms, superworms, waxworms, and crickets, but I will ask.
Put the crickets in a tall cup so they can't jump out or try hand/tong feeding

Crickets are getting their eat on, got the umbrella plant washed & re-potted, got the mist king res filled with distilled and 4 more gallons for the future. Only thing I need to do tomorrow is cover the dirt in the 3 live plants with screen and let the cham into his new home.

IMG_20181025_194838.jpg

Back
Top Bottom