Preparing for vacation

Boston Pitty

Established Member
So next month i'll be getting married and we are going to vegas for 10 days. Its the longest i've ever left any of my fur/scale/and gill babies. My father-in-law is going to be staying at our house to watch over everyone. He has watched the dogs & cats before and the fish are simple, just put the food in a pill container for those and the cats & dogs will make sure they are feed. Now comes the fun part: Argo

I have the lights auto on/off so lights are good. And auto mister (hubbamist/reptirain) that he will have to fill daily and im going to explain that he will still have to miat inside his cage atleast once daily. Argo will eat from a cup but now comes time to adding crickets and giving supplements. When you guys leave your cham. With other people that has never had a reptile before do you let them dust crickets and feeders? Not only that but my other animals will attack the cricket been if he forgets to put them in the other room. I know when Argo escaped people said they could go a while without food so im wondering how true that is? Dad doesnt drive so if the other animals eat the crickets i know he cant just go and get more and i dont want to be worried if the feeders are killed that Argo will go hungry and get sick.
Am i just over thinking this?
Any suggestions for a worried chame mom?

Congrats on the wedding. May you have great happiness the rest of your lives.

Chams can go for a while without food. The problem is if there is any other problm, even one you don't know about, lack of food could compound it. If, say your dad had to leave for an emergency and your chams were going to be alone for 3 days, I wouldn't sweat it's bit. Find someone to fill the misters and be done with it. If say day one half hour feeders died, and your chams get half rations for the next 9 days, I wouldn't worry much about that. But as a precaution, I suggest getting superworms. Give them some carrot for food and moisture and the super worms will easily last the 10 days. Also, dubias don't die (almost never). If your dad has issues with roaches, you could just have a small container off to side with a carrot in it. They would be for an emergency or you could use them when you get back.

Do you typically only feed crickets? They need variety.

I'm not sure about the powder but I would not leave the d3 powders out. That can be dangerous if he uses that daily by mistake.

If you happen to have a wine fridge, you could get black soldier fly larvae. Aka Phoenix worms, repti worms, calci worms would be good to have on hand and don't need dusted.

I would get a couple more varieties of feeder insects like, superworms, silkworms, waxworms, hornworms or whatever you can get at your petstore. Chameleons love a variety in their diet and will be good to have extra food incase something happens to the crickets. Congratulations on the wedding, you should just bring Argo as the ring boy =P

I feed Argo roaches, supers, and stink bugs. Just thinking the crickets would be the easyest for him. He loves roaches but they arnt always available in my area. I want to start breeding them, but thats for after vac.

Congratulations on your wedding & Viva Las Vegas! (Marriage advise: It's better to happy than to be right)
You can set up a deli cup with some gut load secured in it that your pet sitter can just dump the feeders into the dust of choice and feed off. No need for them to have to go fishing around for feeders each time. You could set up two or three of these.

Back
Top Bottom