Preparing for new panthers

daverep23

Hello all

I'm preparing 2 enclosures for a pair of panthers. They will be about 3 to 4 months old. I'm double checking my husbandry before I get them. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Your Chameleon - will be getting 2 Panthers. One male one female. Do not have them yet.

Handling - depends on them. Will handle as needed and if they allow.

Feeding - will be feeding crickets and silkworms. Will mix in supers and wax as treat. Will be using bug burger and fresh veggies for gutload.

Supplements - repashy lod. Every feeding.

Watering - will be using mistking. Each enclosure has 2 mist nozzles. Will mist 3 times a day(might go twice but longer) . Probably a few minutes each time. Will also mist based on humidity and how the chameleons respond.

Fecal Description - N/A

History - kammerflage chameleons

Cage Info:

Cage Type - screen cage with 1 solid wall(back). The enclosure is 2ft x 2ft x 4.5ft tall. The enclosure sits on a stand about 2.5f-3ft tall. The enclosures are side by side with a panel in between so they can't see each other. Each cage has a drain. It is plumbed to a 5 gallon bucket.

Lighting - Im using 4ft T5 6% Arcadia with a 6500K plant light. I also have a t8 dual 4ft fixture with two 6500K retrofit LEDs. Then there is a heat lamp on each. 60watt replacement incandescent bulb(gets to 85 degrees about 7/8 inches away). The timer will be set for 12 hour increments.

Temperature - ambient temp ranges from 78 to 80. Basking spot is 85 degrees. Night time temp will be about 76 degrees. Temps are measured by digital thermometer. Outside probe fixed to basking spot.

Humidity - Humidity will range during the day between 50 and 65%. Truthfully haven't measured night time humidity yet, but can always get humidifier if need be. Measuring temp and humidity through digital thermometer.

Plants - using pothos and hibiscus.

Placement - I'm located in north Florida. Cage is currently in basement. Not near vents or high traffic. The top of the cage is about 7 ft+.

Location - north Florida

Pictures are whole cage system. Then top and bottom views for each cage.

Thanks again for anyone taking time. I do appreciate the constructive feedback.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_20190827_194824601.jpg
    IMG_20190827_194824601.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20190827_194801207.jpg
    IMG_20190827_194801207.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20190827_194756857.jpg
    IMG_20190827_194756857.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20190827_194813577.jpg
    IMG_20190827_194813577.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20190827_194805507.jpg
    IMG_20190827_194805507.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 98
The only issue I saw is the specific UVB bulb you're planning on using. Based on your description it seems like you'll have a dual bulb hood with a UVB and a 6500k in it? If the hood has a reflector for each bulb then you are golden, however if not you'll want to upgrade your 6% bulb to a 12% bulb in order to get the readings you want.

Where are you planning on getting your feeders from?

Edit: also make sure you raise your heat fixtures up off the top of the enclosure. The little ones love to climb on the screen and you dont want them burning themselves!

The only issue I saw is the specific UVB bulb you're planning on using. Based on your description it seems like you'll have a dual bulb hood with a UVB and a 6500k in it? If the hood has a reflector for each bulb then you are golden, however if not you'll want to upgrade your 6% bulb to a 12% bulb in order to get the readings you want.

Where are you planning on getting your feeders from?

Edit: also make sure you raise your heat fixtures up off the top of the enclosure. The little ones love to climb on the screen and you dont want them burning themselves!
They are running a T5 dual with a 6% then a seperate T8 Dual with the daylight bulbs. They will be good with the 6%. If it was a quad with a single reflector they would need the 12%.

Hello all

I'm preparing 2 enclosures for a pair of panthers. They will be about 3 to 4 months old. I'm double checking my husbandry before I get them. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Your Chameleon - will be getting 2 Panthers. One male one female. Do not have them yet.

Handling - depends on them. Will handle as needed and if they allow.

Feeding - will be feeding crickets and silkworms. Will mix in supers and wax as treat. Will be using bug burger and fresh veggies for gutload.

Supplements - repashy lod. Every feeding.

Watering - will be using mistking. Each enclosure has 2 mist nozzles. Will mist 3 times a day(might go twice but longer) . Probably a few minutes each time. Will also mist based on humidity and how the chameleons respond.

Fecal Description - N/A

History - kammerflage chameleons

Cage Info:

Cage Type - screen cage with 1 solid wall(back). The enclosure is 2ft x 2ft x 4.5ft tall. The enclosure sits on a stand about 2.5f-3ft tall. The enclosures are side by side with a panel in between so they can't see each other. Each cage has a drain. It is plumbed to a 5 gallon bucket.

Lighting - Im using 4ft T5 6% Arcadia with a 6500K plant light. I also have a t8 dual 4ft fixture with two 6500K retrofit LEDs. Then there is a heat lamp on each. 60watt replacement incandescent bulb(gets to 85 degrees about 7/8 inches away). The timer will be set for 12 hour increments.

Temperature - ambient temp ranges from 78 to 80. Basking spot is 85 degrees. Night time temp will be about 76 degrees. Temps are measured by digital thermometer. Outside probe fixed to basking spot.

Humidity - Humidity will range during the day between 50 and 65%. Truthfully haven't measured night time humidity yet, but can always get humidifier if need be. Measuring temp and humidity through digital thermometer.

Plants - using pothos and hibiscus.

Placement - I'm located in north Florida. Cage is currently in basement. Not near vents or high traffic. The top of the cage is about 7 ft+.

Location - north Florida

Pictures are whole cage system. Then top and bottom views for each cage.

Thanks again for anyone taking time. I do appreciate the constructive feedback.

Dave
Everything looks spot on to me. My only question is what is your distance from the T5 fixture on top to the basking level? I would add some more branches with a smaller grip for them above the plants they will be on the smaller side and need the diameter to be a little smaller for their feet.

They are running a T5 dual with a 6% then a seperate T8 Dual with the daylight bulbs. They will be good with the 6%. If it was a quad with a single reflector they would need the 12%.
Are you sure? It reads "I'm using 4ft T5 6% arcadia with a 6500k plant light"

Thanks for all the replies

I may be incorrect but I read it as a dual T5 with uvb and plant bulb and a Dual T8 for the 6500 daylight bulbs.

I'll check on the hood. This is the hood I have. Not at home but doesn't look like it has reflectors. It is a dual t5 with one 6% Arcadia and one 6500K bulb. How high should I place the basking lights off the screen? Inch or 2?

Everything looks spot on to me. My only question is what is your distance from the T5 fixture on top to the basking level? I would add some more branches with a smaller grip for them above the plants they will be on the smaller side and need the diameter to be a little smaller for their feet.
Thanks for confirming it
I do have a small fake vine up there. I was already thinking about adding some fake plants at the top until the pothos makes it up there.

Also when it comes to a lay bin I had a few questions. Will they utilize pots with plants? I know covering the soil is a good idea for males, but leaving it accessible for her alright? I was thinking about adding a pot in the front corner when she got a little bit bigger as well.

Thanks again for the help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190828-111226.png
    Screenshot_20190828-111226.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for all the replies

I'll check on the hood. This is the hood I have. Not at home but doesn't look like it has reflectors. It is a dual t5 with one 6% Arcadia and one 6500K bulb. How high should I place the basking lights off the screen? Inch or 2?

Thanks for confirming it
I do have a small fake vine up there. I was already thinking about adding some fake plants at the top until the pothos makes it up there.

Also when it comes to a lay bin I had a few questions. Will they utilize pots with plants? I know covering the soil is a good idea for males, but leaving it accessible for her alright? I was thinking about adding a pot in the front corner when she got a little bit bigger as well.

Thanks again for the help
So you want the fixture to lay directly on the screen. I can not give you exacts on distance because your top is a larger gauge then my screen top. Screen blocks about 30% of the UVB rays. But as a point of reference with mine I have basking at 7-8 inches and get a 3-4 UVI at that level. I would imagine you will want multiple options for yours just because you will not be able to go off of someone else's readings for more of an exact distance. But I am thinking based on mine your basking would need to sit about 9-10 inches below... I am guessing though! No way to tell exactly what your UVI would be without picking up a solarmeter. These are handy anyways because you can tell when exactly you need to replace your UVB bulb.

You will need it accessible for her. There is a bunch of different info out there on lay bins. Some believe deeper is better and some believe that they should not be. They just wear themselves out digging. So you will want to look into what you want to do with this. But here is some basic info for you. Her diet and temp requirements will be stricter as well as she reaches maturity since these things directly impact her clutch size. See if your breeder has any additional info on female husbandry for you to go by. :)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

Something that may require your attention is the angle of your misting heads. They appear to be aimed in the direction of the basking zone. I wouldn’t want to be blasted by water if I were out sunbathing.

You may have already considered this and have set a misting scheduled accordingly, but wanted to mention it for other readers.

Something that may require your attention is the angle of your misting heads. They appear to be aimed in the direction of the basking zone. I wouldn’t want to be blasted by water if I were out sunbathing.
I did not. Was just trying to keep water in the cage. Thanks
You may have already considered this and have set a misting scheduled accordingly, but wanted to mention it for other readers.
I'm guessing by avoiding early morning and after feedings?

I did not. Was just trying to keep water in the cage. Thanks

I'm guessing by avoiding early morning and after feedings?

With a enclosure of that size, misting before the lights turn on in the morning and scheduling the basking and UV light to turn off for the “maintenance misting” in the afternoon, will be helpful. If your humidity levels are solid, you can skip the afternoon misting and utilize a dripper.

Adding more foliage around the basking zone could help deflect overspray.

Every Chamaeleon is an individual. Observing their habits or tendencies over a period of a few weeks should give you a good idea of the amount/type of hydration needed.

So you want the fixture to lay directly on the screen. I can not give you exacts on distance because your top is a larger gauge then my screen top. Screen blocks about 30% of the UVB rays. But as a point of reference with mine I have basking at 7-8 inches and get a 3-4 UVI at that level. I would imagine you will want multiple options for yours just because you will not be able to go off of someone else's readings for more of an exact distance. But I am thinking based on mine your basking would need to sit about 9-10 inches below... I am guessing though! No way to tell exactly what your UVI would be without picking up a solarmeter. These are handy anyways because you can tell when exactly you need to replace your UVB bulb.

You will need it accessible for her. There is a bunch of different info out there on lay bins. Some believe deeper is better and some believe that they should not be. They just wear themselves out digging. So you will want to look into what you want to do with this. But here is some basic info for you. Her diet and temp requirements will be stricter as well as she reaches maturity since these things directly impact her clutch size. See if your breeder has any additional info on female husbandry for you to go by. :)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

Can anyone recommend a decent solarmeter?

Back
Top Bottom