Pregnant female?

When a female is pregnant, it will show certain signs.

1) Aggresive towards male
2) Gravid coloration
3) Increase food intake
4) Stop feeding for a couple of days when ready to lay eggs

Below is a picture of a gravid Veiled showing her gravid coloration:D

IMG_1216.jpg

More questions:

1) Can the female get pregnant without mating and if so do they all get pregnant?

2) Does she only show gravid coloration when a male is in the area or can they show when she is all alone?

3) If she is pregnant what size container should be in her enclosure?

4) How long are they normally pregnant for?

1) Yes....she gets pregnant with/without mating once they are matured (just like anything else, chicken, human, etc.... but instead of having menses, they just laid unfertilized eggs
2) Depends, usually female will show darker green with yellow and blue lines across the body, once a male appear, she will turn darker (black background)
3) Everyone uses different eggs laying container for their chameleon, you want your container to be at least 14 - 15 inch tall and wide enough for a chameleon to at least dig 4-5 holed in it. Usually that can hold about 6-8 gallon of eggs laying substrate. A chameleon, usually digs about 7 - 9 inch deep defore laying eggs. Others even use a giant trash can 4ft tall and filled it with a lot of moist soil/dessicated coconut shell/ sand in it.
4) Typical pregnancy for a veiled chameleon is 4 weeks/30 days/ 1 month varied a couple of days.

It is either you are in Europe or you are an early bird. LOL! Posting at 7am!!

Ems asked..."do they all get pregnant?"...to some extent it depends on how you feed them and the temperatures that you keep them at. I have one veiled (and she is not the exception to the rule at my house) that is 6+ now and has never laid a single egg. I have another one right now that is over 4 and hasn't laid a single egg. My veileds also don't lay those huge clutches...they are always in the area of two dozen.

You asked..."Does she only show gravid coloration when a male is in the area or can they show when she is all alone?"...I have had some that will show it to another female or another lizard, some that will show me that color when I go near the cage and some that lose the color unless a male is in sight.

How old was your veiled in that picture? Mine is slightly smaller, but being as she was found (yes found lol), I'm not sure how old she is.

2) Gravid coloration
3) Increase food intake

QUOTE]

2) Gravid coloration
3) Increase food intake

IMG_1216.jpg
If they are gravid do they always show the coloration or can they just be regular green-brownish? Also are they colored the whole time or just when they are ready to lay the eggs?

If they are gravid do they always show the coloration or can they just be regular green-brownish? Also are they colored the whole time or just when they are ready to lay the eggs?
This thread is old you'll get more replies if you should start a new one. That being said I will answer your question as best I can. No they don't always show this coloration sometimes they show nothing or they show their receptive colors. They usually only show the first coloration when they are telling the male, or something to back off she is not interested. The second color I'm showing is them telling the mate she is ready.

th0DBZST2D.jpg

thXRD03DNQ.jpg

Last edited:
O
This thread is old you'll get more replies if you should start a new one. That being said I will answer your question as best I can. No they don't always show this coloration sometimes they show nothing or they show their receptive colors. They usually only show the first coloration when they are telling the male, or something to back off she is not interested. The second color I'm showing is them telling the mate she is ready.

View attachment 161996

View attachment 161997
Ok thank you

She can turn black almost immediately or it may take a few hours. She will not only turn black she will start to reject the male by hissing, rocking back and forth, gaping, etc.

Is this pregnant? Her stomach size didn’t puff it was just under her chin that puffed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 1,112
Back
Top Bottom