pregnant betta fish

caroline?

Avid Member
for some reason i always end up buying pregnant animals on accident🤦🏻‍♂️
i just bought a female betta to put in my 20 gallon tank but when i got home i realized her belly seems kinda big, i looked up "how to tell if a betta is pregnant" and it says they'll have an egg spot and vertical fins if the fish is pregnant and she has both of those. i don't know much about female bettas this is my first one, if she is pregnant how long will she be pregnant? and what the heck do i do?!
(sorry this is a terrible photo she's acclimating in the tank now)
i circled what i think is the egg spot

Attachments

• 4673E988-5EC5-437F-8988-1187957F1324.jpeg
    4673E988-5EC5-437F-8988-1187957F1324.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 163
A floating plant is good,, they create bubble nests if i remember correctly
Edit: the males actually make the nest for female to lay eggs in☺️ i guessing you only have the one as that's what aquatic stores normally recommend

A floating plant is good,, they create bubble nests if i remember correctly
Edit: the males actually make the nest for female to lay eggs in☺️ i guessing you only have the one as that's what aquatic stores normally recommend
yep she's the only betta in the tank along with a few cory catfish. i also have a couple plants that reach the surface thank you for the help : )

yep she's the only betta in the tank along with a few cory catfish. i also have a couple plants that reach the surface thank you for the help : )
Corydoras will hoover up the fry btw
Bettas one of few fish that can tolerate almost stagnant water. I house alone use almond leaves on bottom of tank and water ph 6.5 to 7.5. very weak current in water if any at all 5% daily water changes

i talked to a betta breeder and she is not pregnant, the source that told me the egg spot is only visible when they are pregnant was wrong that is just something all female bettas have. im very relieved that she is not pregnant😅

There are many videos that show how to breed them and it is very cool to watch. From my experience: The males will make the bubble nest and then attack the female by twisting around her. He flips her over and causes her to-pass out. During the pass-out phase she starts to drop eggs and both female and eggs fall to the bottom. The male picks up the eggs and places them in his bubble nest (very cool). The female wakes up and he does it all over again. There is a lot of damage done and sometimes the female does not make it through the breeding.
The fry will need special food as they do not eat fish food. Usually brine shrimp eggs are hatched and given to the fry after a few days.
Congrats if you take the next step if not, enjoy your pretty fish.

The females go through egg cycles a few times, which is normal..

Bring back memories from 1988.

Last edited:
I am just learning new things everyday. Here is a good link that has some pretty good explanations.

https://savemybetta.com/do-female-betta-fish-make-bubble-nests/

Clipped this out for those that don't like to look at links.

""""However, if you noticed that a female betta is producing its own nest, it could mean two things.

One, if the nest looks weak and scattered, then it is probably not a bubble nest at all. It only means that the female betta uses her labyrinth organ to breathe surface air. These are bubbles that were formed as she gulped for air.

Second, if the bubble nest is well-developed, then it is not a female betta. You chose a short-finned male betta by accident. Male bettas are the only ones that can produce a well-built and purposeful nest"""

if the nest looks weak and scattered, then it is probably not a bubble nest at all. It only means that the female betta uses her labyrinth organ to breathe surface air. These are bubbles that were formed as she gulped for air.
what does it mean when you say she uses her labyrinth organ to breathe surface air?

That was taken from the link, I'm not that scientific about things. (y)

I would assume it means there is a mucus when they breathe (surface air) through their labyrinth organ, which allows for their exhale to form the bubbles. If they did not gulp the air and exhale that way, it would be a normal fish breathing through their gills (I am thinking that how it works).

I might have to get a Glow Betta.. Petco has them for like 17 bucks.. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom